• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Progress on the -725, ready for assembly

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Getting to the point where I am assembling parts now, instead of tearing down. I rebuilt the driveshaft this weekend, with new U-joints and it is awaiting install. I have to get underneath the back an spray some underbody coating next weekend, after which I will be installing the gas tank and the driveshaft. There's a LOT of room under an ambulance once you drop the gas tank and driveshaft!

Mounted the new carb and the r/b fuel pump to the block. Am having some trouble with the block to water pump hose, the one I have doesn't seem to fit right, and looks like I'm gonna have to fabricate something up from another hose.

Also dropped the alternator to send off for rebuild. The one I have spins, but doesn't look so hot on the inside, lots of mud dauber stuff in there and the wires are frayed as well.

Received a few more parts in the mail (thanks John) that I really needed - namely a muffler and a side compartment door for the -725. The muffler is complete, but worse for wear, I'm going to bring to a muffler shop and have them make me a new one with the correct ends, maybe something like a Cherry Bomb muffler to sound cool. The one I have on the rig is rusted so badly, and the ends rotted off, so that a muffler shop cannot even use it as a pattern. So John's replacement was a great thing!

Tore open the side doors to inspect and lube the window mechanism, I'm having trouble with the driver's side door window, it sounds like a demon shriek raising and lowering the window, and WD40 didn't help any.

I also discovered a new problem: I pulled the vent cover off from behind the hood. This vehicle has been sitting outside for 10 years, and was probably used by the previous owners (National Zoological Park in Front Royal, VA) outside much as well. During that time, a lot of tree stuff, nuts, and mouse nests ended up inside the vent cavity. I cleaned out about 10 pounds of junk from the cavity, but upon removing the access panel from the firewall, I discovered some heavy cancer on the inner firewall, right above the passenger's side floorboards. VERY hard to reach area to repair if you're a sheet metal guy. But it does explain why the floorboards are so rusty.

I have to try over the next couple weeks to find someone who is a capable sheetmetal repairman, who can come to the house and do some repairs, mainly on the floorboards and a couple small holes. If you can help out, I will pay you for your time. Thanks.

Couple pics:

Attachments

No.2Diesel

Yeah cab repair can get involved.

When pulling things apart on my 69 Chevy C-30, I ended up drilling out all of the spot welds on the cowl panel to get at the gutter and the kick panel vents. Numerous cardboard templates and a 4'x8' sheet of 18ga. CRS later and it was done...Along with cab corners, floorpan, cab support frame, rockers etc.

Everytime I go to Carlisle I see the guy selling 67-72 cabs off a trailer that are mint and want to kick myself over how much time I could have saved. :?

jfnemt1ff1

Mike glad things worked out with the parts. It is a great feeling when things start going back together :D . Let me know if you need anything else I might be of help.
John

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
steelsoldiers said:
Congrats on your progress Mike! Is the 725 going to make Aberdeen?
I'm doing my best to make that happen. I might have to get some help, especially with welding, sandblasting and painting. But hope to have her inspected, running and restored prior to the East Coast Convoy.

carguy455

Re: RE: Progress on the -725, ready for assembly

No.2Diesel said:
Yeah cab repair can get involved.

When pulling things apart on my 69 Chevy C-30, I ended up drilling out all of the spot welds on the cowl panel to get at the gutter and the kick panel vents. Numerous cardboard templates and a 4'x8' sheet of 18ga. CRS later and it was done...Along with cab corners, floorpan, cab support frame, rockers etc.

Everytime I go to Carlisle I see the guy selling 67-72 cabs off a trailer that are mint and want to kick myself over how much time I could have saved. :?
Another one thats a P.I.T.A. is cowl vent repair on a 64.5 to 68 Mustang, have to remove the windshield, cut all the spot welds,then its a series of hard to get to places. I am finding the bodywork on the military trucks a LOT easier than antique cars...still that spot on your -725 looks like a bear to fix ! Ugh ! :roll:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Progress on the -725, ready for assembly

carguy455 said:
Another one thats a P.I.T.A. is cowl vent repair on a 64.5 to 68 Mustang, have to remove the windshield, cut all the spot welds,then its a series of hard to get to places. I am finding the bodywork on the military trucks a LOT easier than antique cars...still that spot on your -725 looks like a bear to fix ! Ugh ! :roll:
It's not the bad from the inside, you have to lie on your back, and look up behind the glove box, and spot weld from there. Unfortunately, you can't unbolt the entire firewall, it was welded together at the factory, so it's either from the cab side behind the glove box, or through the 3.5" x 7 inch inspection port up front. If I were a welder, I'd take the former.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Progress on the -725, ready for assembly

Update as of April 2:

Didn't have too much time to play on the -725 this past weekend, had too many projects around the house. Here's what I managed to get done:

Disassembled the last of the little parts that I needed to bring to the beadblasting cabinet. I went up to a buddy's place Sunday night because he has a small cabinet. Too small for most of the parts I need done, but I managed to get a lot more of the small parts blasted. His compressor wasn't feeling too good, so although I wasn't able to blast the parts down to bare metal, I did get a lot of the rust and loose paint off the small parts I had. I guess I'm going to have to wire wheel a lot of the bigger parts instead of blasting.

I reassembled the last U-joint on the driveshat, a little tight, but I think some lube will fix most of that.

Removed the front valence, for repair or replacement. There was a little cancer in the bottom half of the valence, and also a lot of junk like leaves and acorns (even a small wrench) were lodged in the valence after 40 years of use.

Also pulled apart the doors and cleaned out the built-up junk in the bottom, oiled the mechanisms and reinstalled the panels.

Lastly, after looking over my options, with no big compressor or sandblasting tools available, and no friends with any to loan, and no money to buy good equipment, I believe my options are going to be limited on refinishing the rig. I believe a grinder/sander and some wire wheels are going to be the way to go, it may not be as good as tearing down to bare metal with sandblasting, but it's going to be a lot better than it is now.

Will provide more updates as this Gumby project comes along....

jfnemt1ff1

Mike A PIA to get things done. I will be going to the shiping place to get you a cost on that ft valance.To bad you are not closer I still have my large air comp and sand blasting stuff still hooked up from the Goat Blast.
John

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter

If you can get the rig to Norfolk, I have a blaster and a really good compressor at the railyard. We blasted and painted 2 engines and 4 cars in there this past summer. The black beauty was almost 8in thick on the floor when we were done!

I also have a nice mig welder and enough experiance to make that hole go away. It may not look original, but it will do the job. And from what you say of its location, it won't matter what it looks like!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

Mike I can bring my compressor and blaster as well as the wirefeeder. I did not see this thread earlier or would have let you know I can help. Do you need sheet metal too or is that already there?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter

FerroEquinologist: the rig will be primed and painted in place, mainly because it is so torn apart now, it will be easier to grind and sand it down, prime and paint it, then build back up, than it will be to rebuild, inspected, driven to Norfolk, torn down again, blasted, primed, painted, and reassembled and driven back. The location is too far away. We'll do that on the next vehicle. However, I will take you up on the offer for the welding in the vent channel, as I will need that redone if there's going to be any dry areas in the passenger side footwells.

AM30Y: Will advise about the blaster and the compressor at a later date - I'm not ready for priming yet. I do have sheet metal, enough for what needs to be done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks