• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sheet metal repair on the -725, AM30Y+ lends a hand...

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, some more news - David (ArmyMan30Years+) came by last night and lent me a hand repairing the front floor pans on the -725. I bouht an entire driver's side floor pan from JeePanelsPlus last year, and in the meantime, the passenger's side rusted out as well (result of a rusted-open vent channel, and all the rainwater drained down into the foot area). My welding skills are non-existent, so I was much appreciative of David coming down from MD and helping me out.

After sizing up the situation, David told me that the majority of the floor was solid, and only a couple areas needed to be cut out. So most of that floor pan I bought didn't even need to be used! Huh, next time, I'm gonna save $100 of new sheet metal, and just find a flat piece of scrap somewhere for material, like an old Buick deck lid or something...

First pic is the passenger side floor after cutting out the old junk - the piece of steel just to the left of the hole is the cancerous metal. Second pic is the driver's side after one hole has been repaired, the right-hand hole is about to be welded shut. Third pic is the pass side after completion. A lot more solid than it was before! :)

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I did not have room in my Suburban to bring all the tools we needed and the Argon tank and regulator and flux core wire is pretty good for common steel sheet metal. If it was stainless or aluminum the tailgate rack and the rest of the set would have had to be haulded up into the foot hills. Mike is a great host and his efforts to restore the ambulance are worth any assistance we can give him. I had the great opportunity to stop off and visit Jeff (Tactical Truck) and really enjoyed our short time together too. This is a great hobby and I love this site.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Atta Boy Armyman! Way to help out a brother! Nice job too! [thumbzup]
But, just remember it only takes one" Oh $h!t" to wipe out 3 "Atta Boys"!

Hey David also, I'm noticing a trend in all your fix it posts. I see a hammer, welder and Leather-man pliers in all of them!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Still relativley new to welding, just wanted to make sure, I'm getting better at knowing what I'm looking at.

citizensoldier

Looks good. I was just over at a guys house that has a very nice M725 front with no rust and straight. He could cut the floor out and probaly get it to you. Let me know if you want it he is going to scrap the body.

gimpyrobb

Lane, scrap the body!? Anything left from the back section? I need some parts man! I think Maddog wants the storage door from the passenger side outside storage compartment.

citizensoldier

he sold the storage door to someone already.. He also started cutting up the back!! Did not get to the front yet.. You could probably get whats left for cheep.. good dash and stuff. Dont know for sure.. I can put you two together and let you work it out.. He is on the site... Has a funky name.. dont recall just now..

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the front valence, window wipes and felts, side compartment door, and muffler from John (jfnemt1ff1). He was very helpful in getting me parts that I wasn't able to find for a good price elsewhere.

It's a shame John has to scrap out that -725 body, as he hasn't gotten anyone interested in restoring it. It's in better condition than mine is, and noone not even on the M715Zone, seems interested except for stripping down for parts. Out of all the military vehicles that are common, ambulances seem to garnish the least interest, and especially so with the -725. The engine is constantly ridiculed and a lot of -715 series owners rip it out and replace it with a V8, when the stock engine is great for what it was designed for, offroad at speeds under 45mph. Ambulances are useful like a van or camper, but most folks who are interested in owning an MV are a little short-sighted, and don't see it for anything but what it was originally, and for that, I think the ambu bodies suffer the most disdain and end up in the scrap heap sooner than they should, even if everything works 100%.

I hope John can find a good home for that body, it would be a shame for it to end up as a bunch of Chinese made frying pans or toasters in a few months.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, that's a shame. If anyone needs parts for their -715 series truck, give John a holler!

John - any chance that you'll b bringing the litter trays to Aberdeen? I can buy them from you there...

jfnemt1ff1

Yep It broke my heart to start cutting, Mike if you want them I will bring them. Also if any one is looking for the litters I have 3 NOS cases can bring some along,$25.00. Also do to getting screwed my the only shiping place by me If any one needs anything I can bring to Aberdeen

gimpyrobb

I would like 1 or 2. If someone is doing a resto, I'd be happy to let them hav'em as mine is too far to restore. I will be @ Aberdeen. John, I left you a V.M.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks