• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M715

wgtactical

[h=5]Here's a shot of the M715 I've had for about 16 years now...it used to belong to a small fire department from my home town in Tennessee and was like new when they got it. Although I was a small boy when they received it on a federal grant, I still remember seeing "Sgt Savio" stenciled on the green beauty in white. After being retrofitted with a water tank, pump and a few other necessities, the truck was painted bright yellow. Even my first summer job had me working at the small fire hall that this machine was kept, so it's safe to say that we go way back.
As the years passed, I moved away to work and the small department picked up newer and more modern firefighting vehicles. Eventually it was decided that the truck was no longer needed and I received word that it was going to be sold. Fortunately I was able to buy the yellow truck that I grew up with and subsequently tinkered around on it here and there over the years that followed. Among the changes were getting rid of the 230 tornado six cylinder with the manual transmission and dropped a 440 magnum with a 727 trans in it's place. There has been many other modifications as well but for the sake of keeping it short, here's the most recent being a custom set of twin tube nerf bars made from stainless steel along with a custom stainless exhaust.[/h]

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great looking truck. I got my start in this MV madness with a M715.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it sure deserves to be in your stable Gerald. She's beautiful. There was a guy that showed up at the sand races in OH one year with an M725. It was running 44'' tires and a caddy 472. It was a tough looking practical camper.

wgtactical

Well between the HMMWV works we've been doing we have managed to make some progress on the M715. Redesigned the cab, tucked the rear winch under the bed, black powdercoat the rims and fabricated a set of bed rails. I also finally picked up a pair of Mastercraft MRAP seats for it. This thing should look pretty cool when I'm finished8)

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thats a wild body lift! I guess the "pioneer tools" are just for show? Doesn't look like they come off easy.

wgtactical

:ditto:

You have one impressive truck! I'm looking forward to more pictures and details.
Thank you and I will post as we make progress, which should be more frequent now.

Thats a wild body lift! I guess the "pioneer tools" are just for show? Doesn't look like they come off easy.
Well I was in my early twenties when I fabricated most of the parts for this rig and fortunately there's not that many things that I want to do over. The body and suspension lift are one of the keepers. As far as the pioneering tools, yes they must be removed with tools and regrettably that is one of the realities of living in today's America. I also purchased nylon webbing that is cable reinforced with lockable buckles for the black plastic jerry cans.

Boy that top sure looks like alot of fab work,clearly not someones first rodeo. All looks good but dont you think something is gonna grab them rocker guards.
Thanks to modern 3D CAD, we can design and build parts prior to cutting and welding. My son who just turned 25 on the 25th designed this top to replace the one I did when I was around his age. The rocker guards are more step bars than anything else because this rig sits up a bit and isn't the easiest thing to climb into without them.

I'm more of a purist when it comes to the body but that is one sharp looking rig.
Thank you. My company does industrial maintenance, fabrication and process improvement work so this kind of thing is what we do between "paying jobs", which I must admit has become more elusive over the last few years (for some reason) :p

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a wicked looking truck, but don't know if I'd call it a M715 any more. More like a personal creation. Curious as to the giant hook at the rear? Purpose? Thanks for sharing

wgtactical

That's a wicked looking truck, but don't know if I'd call it a M715 any more. More like a personal creation. Curious as to the giant hook at the rear? Purpose? Thanks for sharing
It's a 20T hook, with another on the front side. Functional but way past the capabilities of the winches they're installed on. This vehicle is to play with and show off, not necessarily something to beat around in because the 440 evidently loves the taste of fuel :shock:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a 20T hook, with another on the front side. Functional but way past the capabilities of the winches they're installed on. This vehicle is to play with and show off, not necessarily something to beat around in because the 440 evidently loves the taste of fuel :shock:

"Taste of fuel" LMBO!! My brother had a Challenger with the 440 and a six pack!! Fastest car in Central Illinois, but would hardly ever bypass a fuel station! LOL Got anymore pics of your baby? Like to see some of the actual work and what went into it.

wgtactical

"Taste of fuel" LMBO!! My brother had a Challenger with the 440 and a six pack!! Fastest car in Central Illinois, but would hardly ever bypass a fuel station! LOL Got anymore pics of your baby? Like to see some of the actual work and what went into it.
Will do. I have lots of photos going back to around 1978 when it was a fire truck for a small community in Tennessee that I grew up in. Back before all the roads were paved, this machine was quite popular but as roads were improved, communities grew and equipment was upgraded, this M715 was phased out...but I had other plans :twisted:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks