• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to the site and looking for advice on M715's

boatbuilder

Hi everyone, I finally decided to join the site and am hoping you guys can give me some guidance. I live in Maine and have always wanted an M715, I've finally purchased 80 acres and will be getting knee deep into clearing land/building roads/and plowing. My question is do you think the the 715 would be a good overall farm truck, to plow, log, tow etc.? I have found 2 vehicles on the net in my price range, the following are links to the adds,

*** removed CL ads ***

Opinions, what to look out for, questions to ask. Any advice would be helpful. Anyone have personal experience plowing with these trucks?
Thanks for your time

Last edited by a moderator:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome.

Removed your CL links as the forum rules do not allow them unless they are your own.

The first truck looked okay. The second is NOT a M715. It is a civvy truck with a M715 bed. Big difference.

You might want to visit www.m715zone.com there are more 715 owners there and more traffic for that truck.

Triple C

I have never owned a 715 and probably won't, so I can't speak directly to your questions about it's suitability to the desired tasks but I can say that I think your optimal statement is, "always wanted an M715." What I HAVE learned is that any old vehicle, military or otherwise takes a lot of time, care and money so if you were looking at an M715 strictly as a work tool - then no - but because as you have said, it is something you have always wanted, go with that and enjoy. You will find lots of helpful folk here and most of us find some way to justify our hobby. Others are just more candid and stop with, cause I wanted it! Go for it and have fun. Welcome to the site.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A M715 is a great choice for a farm/ranch truck. I have never heard of anyone plowing with one, though. Try to find a winch equipped one. I have used the winch for pulling stumps and the like, and you can put a useful gin pole set up on the front and lift around 1000 lbs. The truck has great traction on level terrain, but has limitations when you get into off-camber situations, as the springs do not give much. The Tornado engine will do fine with ranch use. I put some teflon engine treatment in mine about 15 years ago and have had no issues with the internal parts. The bed is super tough (outsourced by Kaiser Jeep). Values on decent trucks is climbing every year, and they are getting quite a following. Back in the early 1970's, though, the Army was not very happy with them.

bcowanwheels

its one of the best farm trucks ever made I might suggest a power lock in the front axle,lockout hubs, split master cylinder for brakes and a detroit locker in rear axle.
jmo
bob

boatbuilder

Thanks for all the good input. I posted the same questions on M715 zone forum and got some good input as well. Someone over there recommended a M35 (bobbed i assume) as something for similar money that can do a lot more. I can't say that I've ever considered owning one but he's got me thinking. Money is money and bottom line is my truck will be a land clearing, snow plowing, utility tool so if anyone has thoughts on m35's, 715's, 1008's, etc. I'd be glad to hear all arguments and suggestions. Thanks for your time everyone,
Pat

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks