• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Progress on -725 this weekend

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made some progress on the -725.

First, the bad news - the tire shop is having problems removing the run-flat inserts on the 11.00x16 XLs that came off the Marine LAV. They can't remove them, so they will be giving back to me to remove. I now know how to, but it's a PITA. Then, I'll have to send back to have them mount the suckers. Blech. Back and forth, yadda yadda. SO - since my rig is now sitting on concrete blocks, and two of them fractured, I can't get anything done underneath the rig for the moment. That will change in a couple days.

Good news - hooked up all the vacuum lines, the engine is ready to start under it's own power now, I just need to pick up a set of batteries.

I also got some electrical issues fixed, since the previous owner Bubba-fied it with cut wires and bad splices. Found one reason the turn signals didn't work, they weren't hooked up right! Now they are.

Also got a lot of little parts blasted, wire brushed, primed and painted. The cab got a few parts installed, and I began prep for wire-brushing, priming and painting the inside of the cab tomorrow. YAY!

Yes, it is the last minute, I am taking a lot of Paid Time Off to get this rig done, and I will be trying like H E L L to get it done for Aberdeen! :)

Here's a few pics for you guys.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Looks good. Your pics helped me decide that I need to take my front apart when I build the winch bumber! Keep up the good work. :)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Progress on -725 this weekend

gimpyrobb said:
Looks good. Your pics helped me decide that I need to take my front apart when I build the winch bumber! Keep up the good work. :)
Thanks, yeah I recommend taking the front apart when you're doing your truck bumper. I really didn't need to, but I'm glad I did. The -715 series has a distinctive looking, but oddly designed front valence that is open to all the junk that can blow in or wash in over the years. I took mine off, and not only did I find some cancer that I would not have otherwise found, I also cleaned out about 10 lbs of acorns, leaves, small pebbles, and even a rusty wrench that got left behind years ago. Much better cleaning that all out while you're in the area anyways..

67Beast

Keep pushing on and you can make it! Looking good. If you are thinking about some markings before you go to Aberdeen, let me know and I can get them cut and right out to you so that you have them in time. It only takes a day to cut them out and two days shipping from UPS to get to you from here.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Glad to see you are making some progress Mike! The mad dash to Aberdeen is underway at my house too! Good luck and keep plugging away. We're pulling for you :)

No.2Diesel

Hey man don't give up!! Its looking good. The clothesline paint method is the best.

The summer after high school I was helping my bro finish a restoration on his 69 C-30 before we went on a road trip vacation to VT, NH. We worked day & night to finish stuff up. We actually worked through the night and had to go to work the next day. That last day at work I was falling asleep at the honing machine. I had a basket of 75 parts to do and it felt like an eternity. My oily fingers got chunked a few times. Don't forget to get some sleep!!!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No.2Diesel said:
Hey man don't give up!! Its looking good. The clothesline paint method is the best. The summer after high school I was helping my bro finish a restoration on his 69 C-30 before we went on a road trip vacation to VT, NH. We worked day & night to finish stuff up. We actually worked through the night and had to go to work the next day. That last day at work I was falling asleep at the honing machine. I had a basket of 75 parts to do and it felt like an eternity. My oily fingers got chunked a few times. Don't forget to get some sleep!!!
Thanks for the words of encouragement guys - I made good progress today too, will post some pics shortly. At this pace, I will get the rig completed, but I don't think the rear compartment will be completed. Just the cab and the exterior. Just not enough time.

Yup - got my fair share of wire brush wounds already. Nearly cut off my finger today, just wasn't watching where my fingers were when using a DA sander.

Sleep? What's that? :)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, Monday took the day off and worked on the cab, mostly. Took almost five hours for prep to primed. I bought a new tool, and man, I'm glad I did! A new DA air sander used for auto body work, 6" sanding pad, and wow, it stripped through rust and old paint like noone's business! Two 40-grit pads were all I needed to completely gut the inside of the cab, and sand down to smooth metal or paint. I just wanted to remove most of the loose Gumby latex that the previous owners had put on there. Once I was down to smooth base coat, that's fine by me. No need to go all the way to base metal, this ain't gonna be a show queen.

Here's a few before, during and after pics for your drool. :)

Attachments

Armada

You're an animal Mike. Looking great! Keep on it! Can't wait to see it. 24087, eh.... Aren't you going to miss the gumby green? lol

Knottofs

Info on Vacuum line's

Hey, maddawg308
Where’d you get the “Vacuum line” diagrams? All mine are just plugged, but id like to get them right before I go to an electronic ignition.
Thanks, Nate

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Info on Vacuum line

C'mon guys, no pics now - I'm wrenching. Mad dash to get work done prior to Aberdeen - might have to pull a couple all-nighters out in the yard with the spotlight. Will get pics if I get a chance. Right now, it's 50/50 I'll get this done in time for Aberdeen.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Info on Vacuum line

Well, its official - the -725 isn't going to Aberdeen. Did a lot of work on it the past several days, with help from OnanPower and FerroEquinologist (thanks guys!) but there are too many issues that need to be corrected:

Bad news:
wheel bearing seals have failed on both rear hubs, oil all over the brakes
water pump and/or gasket is leaking profusely, need to replace gasket and pump (thankfully, have a NOS pump waiting)
the distributor needs a new condenser and coil, which I don't have
horn had bad ground, needs replacement with Spartan type new horn

Good news:
front end has been primed
rear driver's side wheel studs (wore out) were replaced
fuel tank installed
carb hooked up and ready to fire
replaced faulty point set and distributor cap
removed dozens of rusted up and seized bolts/nuts with air chisel for replacement with stainless bolts
rebuilt ambulance compartment door with new plywood, old one was mangled by a dog
bought and installed new batteries (750 cca apiece)
repaired faulty wiring which had several cuts/splices in the lines
removed horn with bad ground (shorting out entire electrical system)
installed 38" tall Michelin XLs

So, the work is coming along. No Aberdeen for my truck this year, but I am shooting for Haspin in June.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks