• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator vs. 24 to 12 converter for winch?

Knottofs

Ok, another idea I want to run past everyone. When I got rid of my other truck, “24 volt” I had a 24-volt to 12-volt converter in it that I kept. The converter will handle up to 25 amps, but only has 10-gage wire coming out of it. Now the winch’s manual says it only uses up to 12 amps max, but use’s 4-gage wire on it. Will that Converter’s wires handle the amperage of the winch? The converter has a 250 volt / 25 amp slow blow fuse on it.
Thanks, Nate

acetomatoco

For occasional use.. just tap 12V off one of your batteries and forget the converter...The 24 V to 12 converter just makes heat... ACE

Rattlehead

I think they may have left off a zero on the winch's amp rating, and then divided by 2! Or it could be a no-load rating. A truck winch could pull 200-400 amps near stall.

Knottofs

I’ll go out check the info in a little while, after the storm blows over. The winch is a 4000lb ATV winch. Im just mounting it in the back of the bed, and devising some tow truck lift arms out of a couple of mobile home axles with a snatch block on the end, to help me lift logs and large rocks into the bed. The back can’t take it anymore. Nate

Knottofs

RE: One of these?

Ya, this is just a baby winch, it only has a 1.4 HP 12V motor, with a battery need of 12Amp / hour minimum. I want it for like the deer thing, but for lifting large rocks and logs on the farms. The mobile home axels, I plan on having a quick mount fabricated, and mounted just behind the rear wheel wells, over the reinforcement bar underneath the bed, then meeting the 2 mobile home axles together up in the air, connected to a snatch block. It would look like a 1940’s tow truck, but easy for me to assemble / disassemble in just a matter of minuets minuets. That way I can lift things off the ground and just set them down into the back of the truck. Just trying to use what ive got on hand, and keeping it cheep and easy setup. But i dont want anything permenant. Nate

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks