• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M715 (not telephone truck) Maintenance Truck

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
IMG_20131013_103142_292 - Copy.jpgIMG_20131013_103125_052 - Copy.jpgIMG_20131013_103111_300 - Copy.jpgHow rare are these trucks?

I found one with basically surface rust, missing 2 tool box doors but still has the generator system in it and it works---so does the engine and transmission. It also has a winch on the front but I think this might be a bubbafication but not sure.

Updating and here are photos. If anyone is interested, pm me and I will provide the owners contact info.

More pictures down below.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool looking SeaBees truck.

I haven't seen many of the maintenance trucks running around. Mainly the pickups and ambulances. Maybe Jon over on the Zone can give you a number.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is correctly referred to as a 6217. Few exist anymore. Great truck for the collection but not a great daily driver. Seeing one of these Al molded up would likely make me ill.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
From what I remember in my foggy past was with the tools in them they were way way way underpowered and some were replaced with the box being fitted to a W300 dodge a year after the 6217 was fielded. They were built on the 724 chassis with front and rear pto's, so as the above there are not many of these still around.m724.jpg

CARNAC just found a old auction link with some great pictures of a restored one. http://www.auctionflex.com/showlot.ap?co=11217&weiid=3393176&lang=En

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember we had some of those when I was in back in the early 70s, but I never drove one and never looked inside the box. I loved the M715s i drove, but I remember they had some issues with camshaft lubrication and the transfer cases overheated. They were a very good off-road vehicle. Neat looking truck though.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is correctly referred to as a 6217. Few exist anymore. Great truck for the collection but not a great daily driver. Seeing one of these Al molded up would likely make me ill.
Where does the nomenclature 6217 come from?

Fishtail

Also called Shop set No. 3 for the Army Corps of Engineers.

The standard M715 is underpowered, imagine a large box. generator, and cylinders, tools, etc.

Like it was stated, good for the collection if you need one (like meaua)

They are fairly rare, but not very useful as a daily driver or off-roader.

Scott

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I will work on posting the cell pics I took. To be honest when I first passed it at a high rate of speed a year ago I thought it was a m37 maint truck. I'm not into the 715 thing. I have the sellers contact info. He is wanting to trade for a old model decent shape powerwagon or 5k. It is several hundred miles from me so not sure how much help I could be to physically recover it.

Last edited:

FrankUSMC

They were still in use as late as 1981 with the Seabees. While I was a grunt, I remember two of them being on the LST I was on going to Korea. I looked them over while on the ship thinking they were very cool looking. I do remember both trucks had the Seabee emblem on the doors.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
IMG_20131013_103207_104 - Copy.jpgIMG_20131013_103151_326 - Copy.jpgIMG_20131013_103257_468 - Copy.jpgIMG_20131013_103611_247 - Copy.jpg

Here are the photos and there are 3 more that I added on post #1 of this thread.

Again, I have no vested interest in this truck and I just want to hope that someone saves this truck.

Someone may want to fire this over to the M715 zone. I'm not a member over there.

Confirmed today he has a title for it. Price is $5K negotiable.

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a fairly rare bird now, after 45 years of age. The missing parts are out there - if the engine no longer is there I'd recommend an upgrade to a Cummins 4BT or 6BT, either will fit up front, that will solve the underpowered problem with this rig. Make sure it finds a home, the -715 series are sought after and I'm sure someone at the Zone will want it, though I think $5K is a bit high for a junkyard pickup.

Some pics of at maintenance -715 truck restored....

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
This keeps popping up every now and then. I received a call from the owner out of the blue about a month or so ago. I didn't even know I'd given him my number. Here is where he is located. His shop is on left side of 1085 and the truck is in field on right where it says Adobe Storage.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...2!3m1!1s0x86560fd8aabf370f:0xd9e18e9d92f7b75b

Tell him CARNAC sent you.

Here is the number purposely misspelled:

thre-to-five

for-tree-niner

oh-nine-sev and another sev

His name is Brian.

Other than this, I have no regular contact with him, I don't know him other than just stopping there out of the blue. It is very rare that I ever pass by this location on I-20. So asking me if I know if he still has it.....I give you the POTUSalute.

Attachments

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

March 24th, 2016.

Gents:

The M715 gets a very bad rap, unjustly, for lack of power, but you have to remember most real pick up trucks were not built for power or speed back then, but for really hauling stuff. Most civilian trucks today (pickups) do very little real hauling in their lives, just look at the bed bottom and rear fenders and you will find almost no dents or tears from loads......

Maybe with the maintenance truck unit, but underpowered compared to what, an M37? I drove a stock M715 with 4-5 pallets of face brick when it was a Civil Defense truck back in W.Va., and we had no problem keeping up to 50 MPH. 55 no way, the CD director was too cheap to have the wheels balanced and the front end aligned.

I say, get a KIA M425 if you want a real Jeep truck.......:whistle:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks