• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M725 engine and trans cost/availability

199th mp

i'm giving some serious thought to an M725, but it would need a complete original engine and trans assembly. since i have never owned one of these, i'm unfamiliar with the suppliers and what is or isn't available. if any one could give me some idea of the costs i should expect for this parts setup, i would be most appreciative. thanks, ron.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The original Tornado engine is not very popular. Even "purists" have been known to repower with SBC or 296 six or 6.2 diesel. Good running take-outs are going to be very hard to find. Most of the time they are pulled due to a catastrophic failure. Rebuild parts are tough to find and costly. I would sniff around over on M715zone.com to see what those guys have.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Your best option is the 6.2/6.5. Thats the best option for power and mileage. Most gas motors see less than 10mpg.

199th mp

my thanks to all who responded. NDT, do you know by chance, when these have been re-engined with the other types you mentioned, was it possible to use the original transmission and transfer? i am a purist with MV's, BUT who wants to spend that kind of money for an engine known for catastrophic failures. being able to use the right trans would at least mollify me to a very small extent. fishtail, a big thanks to you as well, i didn't know about this place, and it is close to me. what's driving this idea is the 2015 MVPA convoy. a hard sided ambulance would be a good choice for that trip, probably better for comfort and convenience than my M151.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The transfer case is remote mounted to no problem using that. The transmission could be adapted but from an engineering point, the install of a mated engine and tranny would be easier and more cost effective. This can be accomplished with minimal mods and can be reversed later.

M920

I have a complete original engine, transmission and transfercase. It is a low milage, good running take out from a M715, that I disassembled for body parts on a customer's project. This engine really runs great!

Also, I have to make several trips to Cali in the next month so I could deliver the stuff to the LA area.

PM me if you are interested. I have other 715/725 related parts available as well.

Soni

67Beast

I'm the odd one as I bought a M715 with a Pontiac 400 swapped into it and changed it out to put the stock 230 back in it. I love it and it runs great. Never has it left me stranded and I have put quite a few miles on it. The thing that I remember though is that these are fun cruise vehicles and I don't try and push it down the highway at speed. It is quite at home cruising the back roads at 50mph. The "reliability issue" everyone talks of is due to oiling issues in the rear cylinder and overhead cam which is caused by excessive RPMs for long periods of time which cause an oil starvation. The easy fix, drive it easy and keep it under 50mph. When I bought my M725 this spring the original 230 in it had not run in 5 plus years (ran when parked, lol) Fresh batteries, gas, and new spark plugs and she fired right up and I was able to drive it onto the trailer. Once I was home I changed the oil and filters (oil & gas) and gave it a good once over and it continues to run like a champ. I do notice that the M725 seams a little more sluggish compared to the M715, but I figure that has more to do with aerodynamics of the big square box vs. the M715 with all the canvas off. Here is the link to the forum posts from when I swapped the 230 back in, http://www.m715zone.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20496

And don't worry too much about finding a decent motor for them, they are out there, you just have to look to find them. For the one I put back into my M715 I paid $200 for the complete motor with all accessories, the transmission (still attached) and the complete front wiring harness. Plus I have another good one that was given to me free that I just need to find the time to run down and pick it up from the guy. They are out there it just takes time to find the right one at the right price.

bcowanwheels

I have new old stock engines,trans and t-cases, there excellent engines made with hi quality materials and design and only the most modern hi-perf of todays engines have this engines quality. 99% of the civy owners know little about this engine especially the young folk. 99% of these go bad from over speed ( to high of rpm,s) and the oil line in the back of the cylinder head going bad. I,ve put 67k personally on one and all i did to IT was rebuild the carb (cause was modern gas with alky) its still running today after 20 yrs and just oil changes. If i can help let me know.
Bob

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
199th MP, you asked about the stock T98 transmission, yes, Novak Enterprises makes an adapter to mate this transmission to just about anything.

Also, to the rest of yous, I think it is fair to say the 230 is not highly regarded. I did not say that the reputation is DESERVED! I also pulled a 400 Pontiac out of my M715 and put the Tornado back, runs quiet like a sewing machine, like was said, at 50 mph. But the engine is known for dropping valves. My buddy took his stock truck on a 1500 mile trip from TX to Durango CO and back. The day after he got back, yup, valve through the piston.

If you run the Tornado, use the highest quality oil you can find, maybe even synthetic? I put Slick 50 PTFE treatment in mine 15 years ago, it might have helped, who knows.

bcowanwheels

there only known for being abused. the reason yours droped a valve is because the person on the gas pedel over reved it and floated the valves hence the piston hit it. also I make the most complete engine adapter kit going period. been makin em for 30+ yrs

199th mp

thanks again to all who contributed. i will keep track of the info provided, as i make my decision in this regard. it would have been helpful to obtain more cost info, but sometimes that's not forthcoming.

Fishtail

To search the whole nation of Craigslist, type into the Google search bar: site:craigslist.org M715

Change to M725, too.

There is a parts truck near you, I wasn't sure the forum rules let me link it your way in this thread.

Scott

mbrosch

I have a running/driving M725. It has 8500 total miles since new and runs like a top. However it will tow nothing, so I'm "upgrading" to a SBC and an auto trans. Will sell the driveline for$1000.

Flingarrows

And don't worry too much about finding a decent motor for them, they are out there, you just have to look to find them. For the one I put back into my M715 I paid $200 for the complete motor with all accessories, the transmission (still attached) and the complete front wiring harness. Plus I have another good one that was given to me free that I just need to find the time to run down and pick it up from the guy. They are out there it just takes time to find the right one at the right price.
x2. I couldnt hardly give away a the trans & tranfercase from a 715. If you get on m715zone you will see running take outs from time to time in the $300 range. Same on craigslist, as Fishtail mentioned

Barrman

I second what George wrote. I got 5 of those silly engines and transmissions sitting in the back of a M35 right now. They were all free to me and I will let them go free. You have to get them out of the M35 though. I don't have a loader anymore.

Be patient and a good set up will appear close to you for not much money.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks