• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone interested in old school M1 Abrahms hulls????

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why can't they be rebuilt? With the price of new tanks as high as they are, you'd think that they would try a rebuild or upgrade program...

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are probably chassis that didnt make the cut for rebuild/reset due to structural problems. The one thats is all rusted, I bet was burned. They others are probably trashed weld wise somehow, and cant be easily rebuilt. The side skirts are all serial #'ed to the tank they go to, so there is no reusing those according to the Army. I'll bet that these are mostly ones back from Iraq that have major combat damage, that may not be so evident now that they are all stripped out.

jasonjc

Anniston IS the frist stop in the rebuild program. They strip them down compltly and shot blast them. they send them back to the factory in IN for rebuild. They had a bunch about 6 moths back up for bid. I wonder if the one that is cut on is one of the other batch and they gave up on it??? To much work to cut thought it maybe.

Blythewoodjoe

I know it's a long shot and scrap dealers are impossible to work with, but I want some chopped up tanks. If anybody out there has the will and time to do it I think it would be cool to keep an eye on these things and work out a deal with the people who get the contract to get some of the scrap metal. If it is legal I would pay a little better than scrap price for a chopped up hull and turret. I could probably drive to the base and cut up and remove the parts. I have the equipment and I have the workman's comp. and liability insurance too.

If it was here at Ft. Jackson I would look into it. If anybody can pull off a deal with the scrap dealer keep us posted. 25,000,000 pounds? That will take some big dealer.

Joe Trapp

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe it IS indeed legal to put it back together. The rules regarding the demil process basically are written to make it difficult to easily re-assemble the demilled item. Note I said "difficult", not "impossible". Granted, making a 100% operational tank with functional weapons is illegal, but a driving tank is fine. The DRMO knows that no foreign government is going to remilitarize these tanks. Rewelding them back together may make a driving tank, but it will never again hold up to the rigors of combat, plus a 3rd world country doesn't want an Abrams. They want a T-55 or T-62, something that is easy to work on, easy to find parts for, and can be easily driven by 4th grade educated 3rd world rejects.

If you luck out, be sure to post LOTS of pics, Joe!

rdixiemiller

I have never seen M1 turrets for sale, just stripped hulls. The hulls are required to be cut into pieces no bigger than 3x3 feet if I remember correctly, but I am not sure on that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks