• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

US Model 1917 monument

jagjetta

Greetings,
I spend quite a bit of time and memory-space documenting monument-tanks. This past weekend, while driving home from the Military Vehicle Preservation Association's convention, I shot photos of a US Model 1917 in Bloomington, Illinois. I thought folks may like to see this rare little tank, so am attempting to attach a photo to this note.

John A-G
Editor, Military Vehicles Magazine
http://www.MilitaryVehiclesMagazine.com

Attachments

NEIOWA

Re: RE: US Model 1917 monument

sailor2000 said:
Why is this outdoors?????? Poor thing!!!
You got that right. Should have some shelter, rare beast.

Armed or neutered (Why is turret reversed)?

jagjetta

NEIOWA said:
sailor2000 said:
You got that right. Should have some shelter, rare beast.

Armed or neutered (Why is turret reversed)?
The turret had no gun, it was turned about 160 degrees to the right.

I think, in all fairness to the city of Bloomington, they have painted and protected the tank for 80+ years...that is a pretty good track record. It is too easy for armchair generals to declare, "Someone should do something about that..." You might want to actually be that "someone" and contact the city to volunteer to construct a structure for it or contribute to a trust fund for the tank's protection in perpetuity. Just a thought... Me, I was just darned happy to have the opportunity to see the vehicle, free of charge, and be able to photograph it. For that, I am grateful to the people who maintain the park in Bloomington, IL.

As you probably know, the U.S. Army owns some of these monuments, not the cities, parks, or VFWs where they are displayed. Periodically, the Army verifies its inventories at which time, they assess the well-being of the vehicles.

John.

NEIOWA

jagjetta said:
NEIOWA said:
sailor2000 said:
I think, in all fairness to the city of Bloomington, they have painted and protected the tank for 80+ years...that is a pretty good track record. It is too easy for armchair generals to declare, "Someone should do something about that..."..
John.
Their toy, their problem/solution. I solve the problems in by yard. Though you're right, looks pretty good for 90yr old. Better than Sam's example with many much newer display pieces across the US.

Pretty easy solution solution. 3x Intermediate sections of Med Maint Tent. At present 100+ available Ft McCoy Wi. Use the milspec cover or dress it up with a civ canopy for $500 or so. And room for a couple picnic tables. Anything else?

jagjetta

NEIOWA said:
jagjetta said:
NEIOWA said:
sailor2000 said:
Pretty easy solution solution. 3x Intermediate sections of Med Maint Tent. At present 100+ available Ft McCoy Wi. Use the milspec cover or dress it up with a civ canopy for $500 or so. And room for a couple picnic tables. Anything else?
That's a pretty good idea. One thought, though, this is in the middle of a fairly large city in the park. Chances that a canopy is going to stay intact for long might not be too good. This tank, as many, are sitting out for all to crawl on...they aren't in a museum setting in which one can control the environment.

If it was on private property, the canopy solution might be real good. I just don't think inner-city kids will pass up the opportunity of slashing, stealing or destroying canvas. Keep in mind too, these monuments are out for the long haul....canvas might be a temporary solution.

John

Attachments

dabtl

jagjetta said:
NEIOWA said:
sailor2000 said:

As you probably know, the U.S. Army owns some of these monuments, not the cities, parks, or VFWs where they are displayed. Periodically, the Army verifies its inventories at which time, they assess the well-being of the vehicles.

John.
The government comes around usually when something shows up where it should not be at all. Recently, they are inventorying civil war artillery. Two are missing from Natchez, and have been for decades, but they will show up sooner or later.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks