• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M114 SWAT vehicle gets WGTi mods

wgtactical

We are in the process of donating some alterations to this vehicle, which is expected to take place in phases. The first phase involves removing obsolete or unecessary equipment, relocation of some of the remaining equipment, and removal of unused brackets and hardware from the exterior and crew area, repaint and install decals. At that point we will make preparations to begin phase two. Here are the "before pics" Some of you might have seen this one on TV, and if not check out Court TV in November 8)

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
How updated are you taking this? Drivers Night Vision, Thermal viewer, remote weapon system? I really like what you all do to these vehicles it will be great to see what you can do to it. Please keep us updated on the process and thanks for sharing this with us.

wgtactical

We are setting the ground work for future mods right now, concentrating on the removal of unecessary bracketry and equipment. We will also drop the camo and go with a #23070 OD green, with black powdercoated tow rings, covers and other misc parts. The decals are also custom black reflective material. Also we are relocating the antennas to custom billet aluminum mounts and lowering the remote spot light to permit 360 degree operation of the sniper platform. We are also shaving the mounting hardware for the pioneering tools and 5gal. can. I will post some progress pics shortly. Here is an article about one call-out the GCSO was involved with.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/10568934/...atl_break&ts=T&tmi=atl_break_1_02400312192006

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Was Kalid a Muslem? Just wondered since honor killings are a way of life for them. I hope the upgrades go smoothly and that it can be used effectively for years to come.
Thanks for helping the Sheriff out and please keep us posted on the build.

wgtactical

I can only speculate as to what Kalid was, but I can definitely tell you what he is now. Stories such as this are just one more reason I like to put in good work on vehicles like this. When someone has made their own decision to leave this world, I feel obligated to do what I can to make their last images as pleasant as possible. :twisted:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AAHHHH! My eyes! Stop pimping out that M114!

I see several M114s in your bays. Ever feel like restoring one to original? Just a thought....

rmgill

Functionality changes like this aren't so much pimping as function changes for a vehicle.

Any thoughts to spall liners or other armor appliques to increase the ballistic protection of the vehicle? One thing that I think a lot of police departments don't get is that there ARE fairly easy ways of punching holes in the armor of these things and the cops may not realize the protection levels for what they actually are. Plus there have been some advances in ammo technology such that a good NOT 7.62mm round could punch through the armor.

Applique armor steel plates on the outside or spall liners on the inside would be a VERY good idea. So would a two charge CO2 system for fires in both the engine bay AND in the crew area.

wgtactical

There are lots of ideas, but the resources to bring them to life are quite limited. The vehicle, and many of the upgrades and modifications are donated. We have, and will do what we can for these agencies and thats all anyone can do I suppose. The capabilities of this machine are more than adequate for the situations it will be involved. Remember that the weaponry required to defeat the armor must first be aimed at the armor. And these guys see you long before you see them, as I have personally participated in many barricaded training scenarios. (I got to play a bad guy :twisted: ) Anyway, you always seem to come out one of two ways, on your feet or on your back. :wink:

rmgill

Yeah, tell that to the BATF ninja squad when they went and attacked the Branch Davidians on day one. They got their backsides handed to them (rightly so, but it didn't turn out well).

There are folks out there with more preparation and always expecting your enemy to be sloppier than you is a bad idea. From what I've seen, when cops suddenly find their protection mechanisms aren't working they tend to start to have confidence problems, and when things go wrong, they really go wrong. (one cop, in training managed to frag an entire entry team. Got the first guy in with a booby trap/tripwire and the others in the stack just tripped over the first guy allowing him to cap them all right there. )

If they don't have the money they don't have the money. But I'd think offering upgrades to the ballistic protection would be a good idea. The british did so to their saracens when the IRA started using 7.62 AP rounds. If they're expecting to have to deal with terrorists OR a, god forbid a Beslan style problem, going in with not enough armor would be bad.

wgtactical

I had forgot about that one...so now it looks like there are one of three ways of coming out: On your feet, on your back or in an ash bucket. ( only one of those options seems favorable to me though) Yes, in training lots of things happen, thats why they train. And there has been lots of changes since Waco. Reality is, the "newbies" that you were talking about were learning. If you've been on the inside, then you know what I am saying.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
FWIW I amgine the gentlemen implementing this machine will be grateful to be using it as opposed to a Crown Vic.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am gratful for you all doing this work and what Ryan said makes perfect sence since a spall liner can be made out of fiberglas if Kevlar is not available. When you look at what many rounds can do to aluminum even the hardened type in armored vehicles a layer of ceramic would be nice. Some armor steel plate would be second choice.

The thing I told all my gunners before we left for convoys was that the best defense from an RPG is to shoot the SOB before he fires it. Since it is a direct fire weapon we strained our eyes looking for the teltale RPG signature. It is amazing how incoming rounds from an M249, M240, or M2 could make those jerks miss with the rocket.

That is one reason I think the Infra red veiwers are a key piece of equipment to use in approaching a bad guy area. ID the target and take it out. Thanks again for helping our LEO folks out.

wgtactical

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
It is amazing how incoming rounds from an M249, M240, or M2 could make those jerks miss with the rocket.

Thanks again for helping our LEO folks out.
No doubt, being shot at would probably change my agenda too :lol:

Anyway you're welcome, and we like being on this side of the blue lights :wink:

readyman

rmgill,
If 'The Perfect Day' Beslan senario has any credibility, just the perceived protection of WGT's vehicles will make em a big hit. Every municipality will want one.
Hey WGT... going public any time soon?

DMgunn

I love O.D. to death....But, when the equipment is for the use of an LE agency, why not go with flat or semi-flat black? It would look less "surplus"and more SWAT, and perhaps even more intimidating than it already does.

Love your work, BTW.

wgtactical

I like black idea too (and one of mine will be :wink: ), but the agency requested the color on this unit. There will be black reflective decals and satin black trim parts, etc. I only have a few more days, we still have to touch up the interior, put the parts back on and install the decals. We are on schedule though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks