• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Convert M715 to 8 on 6.5"?

DavidWymore

Well, yeah, I know the 60 hubs won't fit. How about swapping from the knuckles out? Prolly not since it's closed knuckle. Have to swap whole axle?

What I"m up to is I have a customer with a 715 that wants to get rid of the split rims. Other options?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yeah, there are a few makers of custom rims. Some are even reasonable. Most of the guys on the zone get cucv axles to swap in.

DavidWymore

We recenter ag wheels all the time. Usually shy away from street stuff due to liability issues. I think we might just go ahead and do it for him. The ole 715 ain't likely to hit fwy speeds anytime soon.

Elwenil

Generally M715 owners swap the whole axle assemblies to CUCV axles or something similar because of all the added benefits. 8 lug wheel pattern, disc brake front axle, cheaper possibilities for rear disc brake swaps, better/stronger axles, parts availability, more streetable gearing and wider gear choices, better turning radius with an open knuckle front axle, etc.

There are just way too many benefits to swapping axles than just rim choices. The only good reason to keep the stock axles is lack of cash or a stock restoration. Considering that custom rims can run as much as $1000 and a set of CUCV axles can be had for not a lot more, it seems strange to even waste time on the old axles. Also consider the fact that a modern Dana 44 front axle is quite a bit stronger and better engineered than the stock Dana 60 front and the choice just becomes common sense.

Just my .02

spicergear

I can't remember exactly how the thread went but at one point I think someone surmised or actually did do what was needed to get 14 bolt hubs on front or rear. Can't remember exactly...sorry.

Elwenil

The D70 front swap wouldn't be worth it. You still end up with a old, weaker axle with a huge turning radius and low parts availability. A D60 or D44 front swap is the only thing reasonable and a D60/70 or 14Bolt for the rear.

98hd

Elwenil said:
The D70 front swap wouldn't be worth it. You still end up with a old, weaker axle with a huge turning radius and low parts availability. A D60 or D44 front swap is the only thing reasonable and a D60/70 or 14Bolt for the rear.
I'm talking hubs, or knuckles out from said axle, to convert lug pattern, not the whole axle.

Barrman

But, like Lanty wrote. You still have a small tube axle housing with thin coarse splines compared to stuff designed only 30 years ago.

Bob has put the Dodge closed knuckle hubs on the M715 D60 and it works. But, what do you gain? You still have to make the rears 8 lug and the front axle shaft will still go POP!! a lot faster than an open knuckle axle with disc brakes.

spicergear

The axle strength on these still depends on how much a person beats on the stupid pedal. It's been argued enough that I feel I can say that it's fairly well accepted that 39" and under and the stock axles will hold up pretty well. Uhm, this is excluding 39" Boggers and amped up big block...I mean really people, that'll break ANY stock 60. It's how you drive them and what you drive them into. Mud hurts stuff. 40" and up doing bunch of off roading with lockers and expect to pop a front axleshaft. Leave the front open with 40"+ and you'll go longer.

I ran 37" Boggers on mine with 240-260hp 427BBC tall deck. Put it in rocks, put it in mud, dragged stuff from the front and still had no problems.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks