• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M47 Patton Tank wreck...photo link inside

kcimb

Fascinating. Perhaps someone here can drop a line to the owner and restore it? It looks complete, would make a big project but in the end worth it!

A little info on it

My guess is that this might've been a range target at one point (though a "gently used" one, since there aren't a whole lot of bullet pockmarks, mainly visible on the left side of the turret and on the loader's periscope guard). Since the original driver's station has been replaced with 90mm ammo stowage, this vehicle was likely in German (or possibly Spanish or Italian) service and was later returned to the US.

The tank had been de-milled, with huge cuts in the glacis and turret armor and, of course, the breech. The outside cuts have been welded up by the owner, when he was planning on restoring the vehicle, but the inside ones are all still visible. The engine is missing as are all the tank's fenders and the stowage boxes and mufflers mounted on them (the armored part of the exhaust system is present, though the left side is broken. The muzzle brake is missing (though the owner said that it was there when he purchased it) and the bore evacuator is dented and askew (the ports in the barrel are clearly visible).

The major components of the interior are present, but since two of the hatches are missing (loader and original driver's hatch) and the other two are rusted open, the interior is essentially gutted of small components and the seat pads and similar items are rotted away.

An interesting thing about this tank is that it has both "solid" and "lattice" sprockets. I've seen photos of M47s in service with one type or the other, but not both on the same vehicle

http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/michael_humphries/m47_wreck_walk_1.htm

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This would be a really great restoration project, there are plenty of M47-M48 series spares out there that really have little value except to a collector. This track would be great sitting on display at the Aberdeen 2008 rally!

Jimmy

I would like to put it in my front yard to finish p****** off the neighbors, they don't care to much for my collection. My wife could even plant flowers around it to make it look good.

It would be a fun toy to start working on, I love tanks

shootER

kcimb said:
Fascinating. Perhaps someone here can drop a line to the owner and restore it? It looks complete, would make a big project but in the end worth it!

A little info on it

My guess is that this might've been a range target at one point (though a "gently used" one, since there aren't a whole lot of bullet pockmarks, mainly visible on the left side of the turret and on the loader's periscope guard). Since the original driver's station has been replaced with 90mm ammo stowage, this vehicle was likely in German (or possibly Spanish or Italian) service and was later returned to the US.

The tank had been de-milled, with huge cuts in the glacis and turret armor and, of course, the breech. The outside cuts have been welded up by the owner, when he was planning on restoring the vehicle, but the inside ones are all still visible. The engine is missing as are all the tank's fenders and the stowage boxes and mufflers mounted on them (the armored part of the exhaust system is present, though the left side is broken. The muzzle brake is missing (though the owner said that it was there when he purchased it) and the bore evacuator is dented and askew (the ports in the barrel are clearly visible).

The major components of the interior are present, but since two of the hatches are missing (loader and original driver's hatch) and the other two are rusted open, the interior is essentially gutted of small components and the seat pads and similar items are rotted away.

An interesting thing about this tank is that it has both "solid" and "lattice" sprockets. I've seen photos of M47s in service with one type or the other, but not both on the same vehicle

http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/michael_humphries/m47_wreck_walk_1.htm

I'm the guy who took those photos in August 2005.

At the time, the owner told me that the tank had been sold to a museum in Colorado, but they hadn't picked it up yet.

I was there again in August 2007 and the tank was gone. Hopefully to the museum.

In 2005, when I first spotted the tank sitting next to the highway, I initially started taking photographs of it and there wasn't anyone around to ask if it was okay to do so. When the owner eventually showed up, he was okay with me taking the photographs and took me into a nearby barn and showed me an M114A1E1 in an unrestored but apparently complete condition (including the demilled 20mm).

Unfortunately, by that point I had run out of film for my camera. :x

I don't know if it's still available, but I've got his phone number and am planning on giving him a call when I can afford to buy the thing. ;)

wehring

I know this tank

It belongs to a man in South Texas. He also has an M114A2 and a duster. Contact me if you have an interest in buying them.

Justin
281 483 8422

nomad68

I found this tank I am helping the museum restore this tank. We have a lot of work to do anyone that can help us find parts that would be a big help. We have a Continental V12 in it but the electrical wiring is a mess. Hopefully this tank will live agian.

battlecr

When I was over Germany in the seventies I got some shots of fenced compounds of all kinds of armor waiting to be drug out onto the range. Most of them would have started up with a little work.:driver:

Don G

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found this tank I am helping the museum restore this tank. We have a lot of work to do anyone that can help us find parts that would be a big help. We have a Continental V12 in it but the electrical wiring is a mess. Hopefully this tank will live agian.
Just for some clarification, the tank pictured in the OP's post was partially restored in Texas and was recently (June 2012) transported to the Museum in Colorado that nomad68 is refering to. It was returned to the US from service in Italy and was demilled before being surplused at Anniston many years ago.

nomad68

Yes NDT you are correct it has been painted and some missing pieces intalled. Our goal is to get it to move again and that will be a huge task. I think its age and sitting around have taken a toll on this tank. we are goin to do our best. we just got the tank a few weeks ago. The tank will be part of the Wyman living history museum in Craig,Co. We have many other vehicles that we are fixing up as well. We are working on a dodge command car, aWWI liberty truck, we have several M3 halftracks. And lots more.

kennymerk

They can sell it to Arnold. Arnold Schwarzenegger is recognized for his love of military automobiles. Recently, he drove a tank over an automobile as a film promotional stunt. Not only that, he owns the tank.

L1A1

They can sell it to Arnold. Arnold Schwarzenegger is recognized for his love of military automobiles. Recently, he drove a tank over an automobile as a film promotional stunt. Not only that, he owns the tank.
The M47 that he owns is the actual one that he was asigned to as a driver while completing his service with the Austrian Army.

Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks