• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Giant 715 got a workout! *vid*

spicergear

I got wood- ...and my truck had to pull it out of some real ugly terrain then a 1/4 mile up to the farm. The log is 16' x 26-30" (slightly oval) nice hunk of White Oak. At one point I had to run up the creek then climb a small bank and she sunk to the rear axle. My 715's 10K deuce winch dragged us (8,000+# M715 and est 3,300+# log) with no wheel help for prolly 10' as the 46" XML's had balled up with clay.

Should be down hill from here; 2) 12' logs and 5) 10' logs still down there from the same size tree. Two of them, basically sharing the same monster base, came down in a storm. The terrain is too ugly for a deuce with NDT's on it...but, again...the rest should be down hill.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: My Giant 715 got a workout!

That thing is an engineering marvel Tom. Everytime I see it I want to duplicate it. I just love a 7000# 4x4s that kicks behind.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

Now that is a 4X4!

I have gragged a lot of trees with my duece and hauled them to the sawyer on the M969 the less I have to drag them the better. Are you gonna cut it for firewood or sell it to a mill?

spicergear

I'll be selling them to a mill. Will use my deuce probably for the 10 footers and see if my buddy will use his deuce on the 12 and that big 16 footer. He's still got a full length dropside. Can't see it by the pics but I had to get the pull chains on that thing just right to be able to pull efficiently. If I just lasso'ed it, it would roll over and the chain would be on the top and all the weight was dragging. I chained it up so that I had a chain lead on either side, near the bottom and pulled together in front of it, so that the harder I pulled and the heavier it dragged it would put more weight on Velvet's pintle hook. It's been raining for a couple days out east here so I knew I was gonna need all the traction I could get.

DMgunn

I've seen that description at the bottom of your posts many times, and wondered what that thing looked like every time.

Perfect.

pa.rich

Next time cut it a foot longer than you need for the sawyer. Put a slanted cut on the end and it will skid over the ground much easier. Will do less damage to the terrain too. Thats a beautiful log, and will bring a nice piece of change for you.

tacoma

Re: RE: My Giant 715 got a workout!

Recovry4x4 said:
That thing is an engineering marvel Tom.
hehehe if he only knew

Tom R supaEngineeeer fra sho

where's the stuck pics?!?!?!? make me click on this sh*t and no stuck pics!!!

heck wichooo :x

tacoma

RE: Re: RE: My Giant 715 got a workout!

So the two I'm putting on mine should be like, gold-plated platinum, right??????

AWESOME!!!!!! :D

DMgunn

Spicergear - Thanks for the link! That is one capable-looking 715.

I knew it looked familiar (TTC was a recurring thought, but I didn't want to go through all my totes that contain a random mixture of Four Wheeler and Petersen's 4x4 back issues).

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

Tac, if your truck moves under its own power in this century, I will be floored! You have a long way to come from the s-10 axles under the last ride you built. I feel confidant in this statement since you no longer head east for work(when you shoot me, I would preferr a head shot). If you ever do head this way, I will still pimp out "BUMP" but not spoon with you. Have a safe winter. :)

spicergear

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: My Giant 715 got a workout!

Here's a pic of where I've been working and the second is about 1/3 way into a water hole. Pulled five out today varying between 10' and 12'. I'd winch them from where they're laying over to the creek bank then spin around and hook to the pintle hook and away we'd go. That water hole is a fun one...can almost watch the rear 46" XML go under when the front is starting up out. Yeah...it's a crappy pic.

Attachments

Barrman

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: My Giant 715 got a workout!

TOm,
I have told you this before. but, I still think you should write your adventures as children books. A few books of your MV adventures and then another one for safety. Using your mishaps as examples. Stuff like don't weld in the rain, don't let a M35 run over you, or don't let a M35 pin you against something and my favorite. Don't tow a M35 down a hill with a M715 attached by a short chain and no brakes on the M35.

Tacoma can be the silly side kick even.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks