• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M578

wideload

Just purchased an M578 this weekend. It is in full running order, crane and both winches operate ok. Picture attached shows it on the lowloader ready for journey home. It is ex-British Army but is virtually identical to the US Army ones. I am missing the air cleaner elements, correct tow cables off the boom, work lamp off the boom and warning amber lamp off turret. Would be interested if anybody could supply the correct kit for this vehicle.

Attachments

wideload

No unfortunately land over here in the UK is far more expensive than in the USA. I delivered it to the guy who does my sandblasting which happens to be on a farm so I did get to drive it a short distance from the low loader. I will take it to Beltring (war & peace) next year and give it a good run around the arena.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great find. Too bad the ones that get sent to DRMO in this country either get bombed, or get scrapped. They would be a great little crane to have around the property.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
RE: M578 update

Just a couple of hours ago I was just relating a story about a 578 during ODS. The tracks were different from the 113's and by following the 578 tracks I was able to find my unit since we had a unit attached to us that was the only 578 in the area.

You're 578 looks real sweet. Man I wish I had one of those.

L1A1

pa. Rich
They may have removed the tracks so that the vehicles would roll easier. Tracks provide a great deal of "rolling resistance" when you have to push/pull an imobile AFV around with another rig.
Matt

wideload

According to my contact at the yard the tracks were removed by the DRMO before release. The main useable parts were the engines and transmissions, which the yard removed and sold soon after they purchased them. A quantity of radiators remain probably the only really usable parts now. What was interesting was that one of them showed only 80 miles on the clock !

Attachments

wideload

Esteban said:
Also, the tracks could have been removed & reused on an M109 SPH.
Quite possible that was the case. If anybody needs new road wheels for M578, M107 or M109 I do have enough to be able to sell two complete vehicle sets (40).

wideload

Alredneck said:
Man good score, thats sad how all those sit and waste away in holland though.
If you look close at the picture they were all severely cut by DRMO and would take some very serious repairs to get them straight again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks