• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heater--what could be done with it?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Found a heater at a surplus store today. First thought to come to mind was "That looks neat." Then what the heck is it. Turns out my 18 years out of heavy units has made me forget what a personnel heater for an M113 looks like.

So any ideas what could be done with a 113 heater other than a conversation piece?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think that with the proper accessories, heat any vehicle. I have a similar, if not the same (30,000 BTU) unit, in my 8x8 and love it.
What's the part number?

LanceRobson

If the control box is with it it might be worth picking up. Remember that this critter is designed to keep an M113 reasonably warm in arctic conditions with the hatches open. It puts out way too much heat for a truck cab. It also will melt rucksacks, melt intrenching tool covers into shrinkwrap and cook off .50 Cal. ammo thats still in the can if it's in front of the heater vent. (don't ask why I know these things) It might make a bed heater for a Deuce but they are pretty power hungry and they'll run you batteries down right quick. I seem to remember that it needs to be mounted vertically. Follow the starting directions carefully or you'll have a puddle of diesel fuel in it and have a fire.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Heater--what could be done with it?

LanceRobson said:
....... I seem to remember that it needs to be mounted vertically. Follow the starting directions carefully or you'll have a puddle of diesel fuel in it and have a fire.
Hmmm..the 8x8 has two heaters, one is installed vertically and one horizontally. I have seen something about an "equalizer tube" on some control valves, which may have something to do with the mounting position...something else to investigate..... :?

acetomatoco

RE: Re: RE: Heater--what could be done with it?

M113 had a Chrysler gasoline engine.. Later versions were Detroit Diesel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks