• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M114 SWAT vehicle part2

wgtactical

Here is the latest improvements to an ongoing project. Lights, cameras and a few other things :wink:

Attachments

mangus580

WGT, nice pics...

EVERYONE ELSE who originally started and participated in the debate... I will NOT tolerate that crap anymore. I am getting REALLY pissed off an the constant BULLSHIT that keeps coming out of people on this site. CUT IT OUT NOW! or I will start banning members.

Enough said.

54reo

Banning members may prove to be the only option in some cases.

Most sites grow with time, and with that growth comes a few bad apples...

Someone needs to keep the garden free of weeds. Mangus and the other mods, I will support you in your decisions.

readyman

wgtactical,
Where are the outside cameras? are they in the portholes? I don't see them sticking out anywhere.
BTW I got one of those Go-Light searchlights for LilRuthie, 24v wired and wireless, wondering if the wireless remote option would be any use outside this vehicle?
Was the artsy SWAT logo your idea or the end user's? Almost looks camo distorted.

rmgill

Potential problem with those cameras. What if a subject used a medium powered laser to hit your cameras? That would blind the crew. It would seem that having backup glass periscopes and Laser filtering goggles would be a wise addition to the design.

wgtactical

WOW, I just got back from Virginia and logged on :shock: Outstanding job cleaning up the thread, mangus580 8)
readyman, the forward looking cameras are just below the pan/tilt/zoom camera. They are aligned in such a manner that the edge of the two inside field of views runs parallel so that the two monitors mounted side by side just looks like one wide monitor. That idea came from our contact at Cobb County PD SWAT. Any bright light sources (including laser) show up as a white spot on the display. The Go Light was already on the vehicle, we just made mounts for a better location for it. I also was not aware that there was a wireless remote option, I can see where that it would be of value. The decals were designed by us, for them. You probably noticed that they are a knock-off of our WGTi logo. :D

rmgill

Thing is though, a laser like that shown in that link will likely burn out the CCDs in those cameras.

Do you have options for transmitting the Camera images to a remote source (command truck) or logging them to a digital media recorder? I'm not sure if a harddrive would be good or not. It'd have to be able to handle the G shocks of the vehicle's movement while spinning. Head crashes are bad on spinning media.

wgtactical

A laser could take out the camera, but so would a round from a firearm. Any act that would compromise officer safety would get the same response though. The vehicle currently has no provisions to broadcast to a command center. Mobile units that are shock resistant are more expensive than base units that perform a similar function, and they are getting quotes on such a system.

rmgill

I'm curious if you could use something with 802.11G or similar. You don't need a lot of power and if you're having to move around in the vehicle a lot you're not going to be worrying so much if the Captain in the Command RV is getting a good signal or not. But you could use an omni-directional antenna and a YAGI on the Command vehicle and stream the video with some fairly cheap (by video standards) hardware that would only require a tech to point the yagi at the APC while it sitting static. You're not going to Get REALLY high quality video that way, but you could easily stream it out. You'd have to be certain that your technicians for the police handled the encryption properly so the newsies didn't snoop the signals.

zak

Ok for those of us who are not up to speed on tracked vehicles the following questions come to mind:
Years of manufacture
gas or desiel
I didn't see obvious doors to a engine compartment in the photos, how is the motor serviced? Is it a engine pac/module easily pulled?
passenger capacity?
land speed in stock form?
fording capabilities?

Well just overwelm me with data..................and more pics, engine, drivers station, ect,

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wow what I missed must have been bad to make Mike mad, everything I see from WGT makes me want them to work for the Army. I was trying to get AMC to put disposible cameras and a viewer on our UAH's for the gunner with IR capability the problem is the UAH has reached its limit for do dads and the power draw on them is close to the limit too. What amperage are you running with all the systems up and running? As always thanks WGT for what you do for LEO's and those who have to risk their life to keep us safe.

wgtactical

Well zak, here is a link that will answer a lot of your questions:
http://afvdb.50megs.com/usa/m114.html
The engine can be serviced from removable interior panels, removable access plugs at the bottom of the vehicle and the top engine cover has a hinged section. The engine and transmission (powerplant) are removed as a single unit from the top of the vehicle. This powerplant is basically intact and can be ran outside the vehicle by providing no more than a fuel supply and a battery. Even the three point motor mounts will allow it to free stand on a hard, flat surface.
The pictures were taken by a soldier stationed in Germany.

Attachments

wgtactical

Thanks papabear, we will do the best that we can. Are you guys looking for anything for your M114? At the moment, we have three armored vehicle projects in the shop right now...all are my personal vehicles and one of which Offroadfabworks has been asked to assist us on. I am taking pictures as we go, and hope to have some posted in a few weeks.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very cool looking M114. Lots of mods that make sense from a protective/defensive standpoint.

Do you have a pic of all the M114s that you guys have that you have done mods to?

wgtactical

So far Mike, the only M114s we have finished are the two already posted here. There are two more we are working now. One of them will be quite a bit more custom than we have ever done, while the other will be as close to "off the assembly line" as possible. I will start posting pictures when I get far enough along to keep a fresh set of pictures posted on a more timely basis.

B3.3T

The idea of a common criminal using a laser to disable a camera I believe is a bit beyond the realm. First, criminals are not likely to have that type of laser. Second, if they did, they would probably be aware that all they're doing is disabling a camera, not injuring anyone. Third, as Gerald stated, a firearm would be more handy and do a much more decisive job of disabling the camera. Anyone with that kind of sophistication and determination is going to own a .50 and swiss cheese it and everything/one inside.

Armor vehicle in tactical LE use are very practical. The overwhelming circumstances have been rescuing civilians or downed officers from the line of fire. More times than not, the presence of the vehicle aids in ending the situation. They have very, very seldom ever been "attacked" by any means. The National Tactical Officers Association stats bear this out very clearly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks