• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce trans adapting

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I am getting ready to put the BBC with a deuce trans in the M725. I need to figure out how to adapt the deuce trans output to work with an Np205 Tcase. The size Ujoint escapes me right now. If I could get a plate to bolt to the deuce trans flange, and bolt the correct Ujoint flange to that I should be set. Any better idears?

CCATLETT1984

i'd go for the flange as well

all up a trans shop with the size/spline count of the output shaft and see if they have a stock one that will fit. else you may have to have a frankenstein shaft made.

gimpyrobb

I saw that Steve. I have those parts, but I'd like to put a 725 size flange on the trans to keep all the Ujoints the same size.

gimpyrobb

So now I am thinking, since I have the deuce jackshaft, maybe I could pull it apart and have a 1310 driveshaft end put on. What do you think?

Alredneck

Banned
Ok work with me trans out put duece flange, then offroad fabs (or someone elses) flange to 1410, driveshaft cut to spiefied length 1310 joint on 205 case. but why not go ahead and get a larger 1410 for the t-case for added strength and that way you only have to carry one type of spare. Are you using a doubler or just stock 205? Captain

gimpyrobb

Stock 205. The 1310 ujoint is on both ends of the driveshafts and the input of the 205. I think the easiest way to go is a jack shaft with 1410 on one side and 1310 on the other. I doubt I will ever have to replace the 1410 in this 6500lb truck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1310s are kinda weak. The 205s also came with 1350 joints too so a factory yoke would be available for it if you wanted to spring the money. How much length are you dealing with? Which deuce drive shaft do you have? IIRC if its a deuce jackshaft, you may not be able to reyoke it. I think the deuce jackshaft has 1450 bolt in joints too! The inter axle shaft and front shaft on a deuce have 1410 joints. Is there a Power, Clutch & Drive in Cincy?

gimpyrobb

Yeah its the bolt in ujoints. every ujoint on the truck is 1310. I have yet to break one, so it'll have to do for now.

sermis

He is. I know he was looking at a yoke off of a NP200 and a good whack with a hammer to make it fit.
Not sure he has the found the right combination yet.

gimpyrobb

So I stopped at the local driveline shop at lunch today. He measured the jackshaft and it is a 1500 series Ujoint. There is no way to get a 1310 shaft to mate up on the jackshaft. I mentioned to him about Tim using the np200 flange and he said to bring in the trans output flange and he'd see what he could match up.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have the M725 jackshaft? Perhaps you could shorten that. add a new weld yoke that fits a 1410 joint from a front or inter axle driveshaft. I would think that is much easier than using a deuce jackshaft.

gimpyrobb

Yes Kenny, I have that too. I have pulled the output flange from the trans and will see what they can come up with tomorrow. It looks to me as 10 spline 1.5" inchshaft with the splines at 1.25". Anyone know the angle of the cut? I might look over at spicer's site to see what I come up with on my own. Thanks in advance.

gimpyrobb

So it looks like a Spicer part# 2-2-579 will bolt up to the output flange and give me a 1310 ujoint output. Cross referance # is 627. Don't know the manufacturer. Anyone got one cheap? I got a price of $100 for the spicer part and $60 for the cross. I will be looking at the cross part tonight after work.

beaubeau

Gimpyrodd,, Is there A special reason to use a Deuce trans? The more I learn about them the weaker I find them to be. I will be removing the one from my Deuce. I just hauled a 5ton Tractor back 5oo miles with the Deuce and I lost overdrive about 120miles from home. The Deuce is slow enough with Overd., now I had to finish the trip in 4th gear. I did make it home OK. I was thinking of putting a 9 spd or a 13 over in place of the original. They are plentiful and would do well in the Deuce If U put a bbc in, that has a lot more torque than a Multifuel. Anyway good luck with the Drive shaft situation. I have modified and built custom shafts in the past. Dont let anyone Bull Crap U into anything Expensive. Phil

gimpyrobb

Well, GOD FORBID I go the easy route. I decided to remember today, that I will now have no parking break. Oh Crap. Well, God must truly look over stupid people, as I noticed the trans that came out of the C-60(that donated my motor) has the same input splines as the 3053a. It also has the same flanged output, BUT it also has a drum just like the np200. I will try to get pics to show everyone. Anyway, I have not taken it off the Clark to test it on the 3053a, but "eyeballing" it looks promising. If this works, I will cut down on the frustration and just pop for the $100 flange. Also, ignore the 627 cross, it is no good. Beaubeau, this truck is only 7000lbs at most, I think the trans will be ok. I have my minions working on a cheaper option, but if that is the price, so be it.

nhdiesel

The 3053a will be great in a 715. I have one for my '96 Dodge Cummins, and will be using the same t-case- Ford version NP205, divorced. On the Spicer web site there are all kinds of options for mating the two. I think I'm going to go with a short intermediate shaft using either flanges or yokes. The parts will be expensive, but its the only way I found to easily mate the two without going with an expensive custom built shaft. The parts for the intermediate shaft are available from Spicer, just using a slip joint that bolts directly to the flanges. I have an extra shaft to build, since I also have a 3-speed aux. Spicer to go between the 3053a and NP205. Or put it behind the 205 for a shorter front shaft, and only use it in 2wd. I only really want the extra OD of the aux. trans anyway.

My father (Beaubeau) needs to keep in mind that you should NOT tow in overdrive- the gears are much weaker. He wouldn't have had a problem if he had stayed in 4th. Of course it won't be an issue in my 7500 lb. truck, even with a 10k lb. trailer. But in a 13k lb. truck with a 20k lb. load behind it...4th would have been wise.

Here is another question- why not just use the Clark tranny? Other than not being synchro'd and possibly not having OD (depending on model), it would be a great alternative to the Spicer. For an off road vehicle, or for heavy use, OD probably wouldn't be missed much.

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks