• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

duramax/allison into M715...Installation in progress

40grit

Holy crap, it fits...I'm really, really stoked (even happier than spicergump and Barry getting home), no need to cut inner fenders..everything slipped together like it was designed to fit...

anyone got a radiator and custom innercooler laying around [:)]

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wow, what a project. I am impressed. So are you using the stock engine management software and harness from the donor truck or are you making a custom loom and ECM setup? It seems like I have seen a stand alone Alison controller somewhere.

40grit

stock ECM, TCM, stock on engine loom..only has 10 or so wires from engine to rest of truck..working on off engine stuff...engine talks to rest of truck thru a twisted wire pair...all computer language..so I'm looking into whether I need the BCM (body control module) and the instrument cluster or whether I can get all that info from a palm pilot type device..should run like a scalded dog...eventually

Dieselsmoke

Swweett. That's what I'm doing to the HMMWV cuz that 6.2 just won't cut it for me. Since your in SoCal, send the PCM over to Steve Cole at TTS. HE'll bring that Dmax to life for you!!

40grit

I got the 2WD allison with the motor, along with the computers...I'm working out radiator (I think a 396 chevelle rad with tranny cooler fits in the 715 spot) with stock duramax tranny cooler and custom spearco alum intercooler now...going to put 2 optima's hooked to stock duramax wiring.

dilvoy

40grit, I don't want to sound like a know it all, but A few years ago I installed a chrysler 440 with 727 into a 64 gladiator and found that cooling the engine was my biggest challange. The engine was on the verge of boiling over even on a cool day and on hot days the amount of coolant that flowed towards the overflow tank was huge. That diesel will shurly run hotter than a gas engine especially if you go offroad. I would respectfully suggest that you check out to see what size radiator is used in a duramax truck and have a radiator shop that knows what they are doing make you a radiator that can do the job and also fit into your vehicle. You might get lucky and have your choice in radiators work really well, but if it dosen't you would have wasted time fabricating lots of parts that may not work with another radiator setup.

40grit

stock duramax rad is bigger (by about 10", but thinner)than M715, but smaller than 8.1L stock GM rad, same with dodge cummins,diesels seem to have smaller radiators, so I'm figuring the diesel will run cooler, not hotter, i may be wrong, but that's the impression, either way, lots of guys have 440, 460, 455,etc in M715 with no cooling problems, I just got back from visiting a buddy in Phoenix, he's got a 460 outa a 2000 FSD in his, it was 115* out and his truck ran a perfect 180* all day while driving around. I'm planning on using a 3 core for a 396, it cools built BBC.( and fits the M715 radiator support, after a little modification) so it should do a stock diesel...but you never know...thanks for your concern, I'll do some more research...

Dieselsmoke

40grit, we just did Banks kit for a guy on his 05 Duramax, which included a new intercooler. If he don't want to keep the stock one are you interested in it? I know the owner of the shop don't want it laying around.

40grit

DS,
thanks, but stock intercooler looks to be cast and too big for my use...if it was a nice TIG'd aluminum piece, then maybe, but that's the Banks' intercooler....stock GM intercooler is roughly 42" across, I need something under 32", but thanks for thinking of me...

Brian Scarborough

Duramax m715

chicken or the egg? this may not be for the pureists out there, but why not wrap the sheet metal form a m715 around a shortened chevy 2500 frame with duramax/allison/ axels complete? I really want disks on all four corners, and a diesel...the 2500 hd has very similar porportions, sure the frame would need to be shortened depending on the donor, but that is not too dificult. I found a rolled truck with straight frame, truck still runs...sure would be lots of work...but would be pretty cool if done right... Comments?

Brian Scarborough

Adding things like power steering, a V8, tranny combo, things to make it more user friendly, sure it is not OEM but so what? Say if I do this sheet metal swap I'll have the frame, FE 390, 5 speed man, axels, all of it for sale...will take a while to do this, anyone know a good "body man" in NW Denver? Need a friend in the right place... need someone to tell me "you freaking nutz dude" or "you are onto something here" chop this-cut that, weld in rocker sliders while you are at it...slap on some 37" rubber and you are going to have a sweet rig.

Chevytruck

WOW :shock: this thread is 4 years old!
and it seems like a lot of work to transfer a body to another frame... especially if they are entirely different from each other.

or it could just be me :razz:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks