• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another one comes back to life

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Over the past few weeks, we have been tinkering with an M548A1 at the Museum. Had to "borrow" a couple of little parts off of another one out in the back 40, had battery and fuel issues, all minor things. Finally got it to lite off. Had an issue with air escaping out the bottom of the brake treddle valve...they only use air activated brakes for the towed trailer, not to stop the vehicle. Still leaks, don't know why, so for now, we just capped the line leading to the brake valve. Drove it to the shop, has a LOP light on all the time, but has oil pressure. Did the troubleshooting with the help of the 20's here on the site...many thanks to the person that uploaded those...downloaded and burnt a copy of them for the Museum...hope that's OK 8). Turned out to be a fialed LOP switch...now to find one. I have forgotten how nice a good running Detroit sounds. It is refreshing to hear something other than Cummins for a change. I have also found another thrill other than making something run...driving things! I have driven dozers before, but this is WAY different, it is FAST! When it shifts, the carrier jumps forward and your head snaps back. Found a couple of surprises in the back of it, the cab cover and the covers for the compartment behind the driver and radiator discharge...kind of like a winter front for a truck. The cargo cover is there too, but it has been cut. Anyone know where a cargo cover can be had and maybe the cab cover frame? My thanks to Craig, for allowing and trusting me to drive a truly amazing piece of his collection, and to Danny for taking and sending me the pics, 'cause I was a dufus and forgot my camera :oops:

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will, it suits you well, you need one! The museum is probably equally as thankful for having a technician of your caliber at their disposal.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovry4x4 said:
Will, it suits you well, you need one!
Where would I park it and how would I explain it :lol: Can't wait to do the M60 and one of the Navy landing crafts! I'm just doin' what I like to do..tinker with things that make HP. I don't get to do it much at work anymore, I've gone from a technition to a baby sitter. Working on these..and my own things...I find is stress relieving. Thanks for the kind words :oops:

steelandcanvas

548's are way cool! We had a bunch of them in my 8" Howitzer Battalion, never got the chance to drive one though. I remember the front-ends jumping up when they shifted, sweet machine! Keep relieving that stress on those vehicles Will!

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a mobile 8 inch and a towed 8 inch there.
http://www.tankland.com/
The website hasn't been updated, byt the numbers are all good. They are open Friday thru Sunday, 1000 to 1600.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Way cool Will! I really need to come down there and give you guys a hand, looks like Disneyland for big boys. Dont they have one of those at the scrap yard?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 548 has a lot of power for it's size. Remember that the powerpack is the same as on the M113, except the M113 has a lot of armor to carry around. The 548 doesn't have armor, so it's a bit lighter on its feet.

Esteban

I remember one time in Vietnam, a group of us were being transported,, in a HURRY, by one of these. The " Camel " as they were called , hit a dip in the road at the same time it shifted gears. The soldier sitting at the back went up in the air about 4 feet & landed on the road behind us.The driver turned around & went back & picked him up. He seemed to be OK other than very dirty. I wonder if he is disabled, now, because of that injury ???
M548's did share a LOT of parts with the M113's. They were rattle-traps !! I like the old sound of DD's, too. You will NEVER get all of the leaks fixed !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks