• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

8x8 APC Identity Question

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can anyone identify this vehicle? It belongs to the Oakland County (Michigan) Sheriffs Office.

(No, I don't want to debate why they have it, I just want to know what it is!).

Cheers

Attachments

Elwenil

It's not a Stryker or anything done by General Dynamics. It looks a little like a Steyr, but the center of the hull and lines are different. Honestly it looks more Soviet than anything.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks to me to be a modifed variant of the BTR-60/BTR-70/BTR-90 family of Soviet 8x8s, or it's cousin, the OT-64.

B3.3T

Soviet 8x8 vehicles all have from windshields and a higher profile. Why don't you just email the department and ask them?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, a Dragoon. By the way, if you're ever in Royal Oak (Mich) the Red Coat Tavern in the background has excellent burgers.

B3.3T

As stated on the web link you listed, Dragoon is a FAMILY of vehicles and not just a 4x4. The Department's own website lists it as a Dragoon. Perhaps since they own it they may know what it is?

Bow-man

That's how I searched it-- "dragoon 8x8", and a General Dynamics site came up. There are a few other sites that show the different configurations of this vehicle. Lord knows how this Sheriff's Dept. got ahold of it (I'd like to know and for how much) :wink:

Elwenil

B3.3T said:
As stated on the web link you listed, Dragoon is a FAMILY of vehicles and not just a 4x4. The Department's own website lists it as a Dragoon. Perhaps since they own it they may know what it is?
A Dragoon is 4x4 only. And I trust Jane's infinitely more then any other source, as does our State Dept and many other Government agencies around the world.

Jane's said:
AV Technology Corporations, now part of General Dynamics Land Systems, developed the Dragoon family of 4 x 4 light armoured vehicles
I challenge ANYONE to find a pic of an 8x8 Dragoon as it is known by the manufacturer.

This vehicle is a GPV Colonel 8x8 built in New Haven.

http://www.army-technology.com/projects/gpv/

And furthermore, here is a news a newsletter entitled "Michigan Emergency Management News" that in the article "Oakland County Conducts Major School Disaster Exercise" on Page 4, has the following quote:

MEMN said:
More patrol deputies responded to the staging area and the Sheriff’s Special Response Team arrived, complete with their new armored vehicle, the General Purpose Vehicles Colonel.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/November_2005_141206_7.pdf

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's it! Thank you Elwenil.

I had not seen that one before ( :oops: ) and none of my references had it. I guess I need a new copy of Jane's. I did try poking about on the SO's website, but it was so tediously slow loading on my dinosaur dialup (please don't laugh at me, it's all I can get where I live!) I finally gave up and came to the Font of Knowledge. Seems you can ask any question about any vehicle here, and someone will know the right answer. Love it!

By the way, in little letters on the lower back of that vehicle it says "Paid for by ...." so I am guessing someone (wealthy) donated the vehicle.

Cheers

Elwenil

It's an odd vehicle for sure. At first I didn't even notice the row of visual ports the go from one side and wrap around the front to the other side in an unbroken line. That is a very unique feature in APCs. I was mainly concerned with the front plate, the odd stepped body line towards the rear and the hull between the front and rear axle sets. I knew it wasn't from any of the well known US APC manufacturers though. GPV does not seem to offer the Colonel anymore but they do show the Sergeant 4x4 which a lot of police forces seem to use and a Marshall 6x6 based on the same design as the Colonel.

http://www.gpv.com/

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've not seen anything with that many vision ports on it before.

Coincidentally, earlier today I was looking at this vehicle. It has slots for 7 wide periscopes in that lip around the upper front hull. There were three facing forward and two at diagonals on each side. Neat vehicle, if rather shabby. One of the prototypes offered for the LAV competition many years ago. The owner plans to restore it eventually.

Cheers

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Neat vehicle Rory, I saw that listed on armyjeeps.net a few years back. Looks like a LAV-300 prototype.

Way to do the research, Elwenil! I didn't even know that model existed until you provided the link!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, that's why I asked here. I couldn't figure out what that 8x8 was, but knew one of you guys would.

I gather this was based on the V-3/600. It has a small hatch in the right forward hull that the others don't have, goes into the drivers compartment.
It has an adjustable height suspension, which has sagged way down. It would sit some two feet higher when running.

I like the cute little turn signals! Same as M151A1 and the V-100.

Here are a couple more shots.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks