• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m-60 problems

oifvet23

if there is anyone out there who worked on m-60's, i need some help..im working on a m-60 and im stumped.. i was told that it ran fine but it couldnt turn due to lack of power..i was told it was only running off the right bank (not sure what that means, possible turbo failure on the other side) i would really like to figure out what is wrong and how to fix it, so if you have any suggestion it would be appreciated.. i will be restoring it soon (if i can get it working). If there is someone out there who would like to donate to the museum for the restoration, me and the museum would gladly model the tank after the one you might have served in or if you just want to help "KEEP THEM ROLLING"
thanks

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have a m-60 at our museum. And i'm told it will run in 5 cylinders. It's a v-12. We have just about all the manuals on it so if you need anything let me know and i'll look it up for you. We have a few guys who have worked on it for a few years now and they have done a wonderful job returning it to it's former glory. PM me and i'll do my best to get you some answers.

oifvet23

well i talked to one of the guys today and i mentioned to him the their may be algae in the lines on that back and he said it was definatley a fuel probblem and that we should rebuild the fuel pump and flush out the lines.

Dieselsmoke

A turbo problem won't keep it from running, it will run poorly though. If I remember right the way that motor is set up, there is a pump for each side since it's a V12 so if there is a problem with one pump that would make sense in it running on one bank only. Just a WAG though.

oifvet23

yea i think im going to have to start with the fuel pump..but i need to get some manuals on it first..dont want to go ripping things apart until i know i can put them back together :banghead:

dilvoy

I have never worked on a tank, but I would suggest before you pull apart any fuel pumps you might try changing any fuel filters. they may have water removal petcocks at their bottoms or there may be water separaters in line somewhere too and the fuel tank could be drained to remove any old fuel. Did you have the fuel tested to come to the conclusion of Algae? I would imagine that the fuel system would be self priming. I bet that there is no part in your vehicle that is cheap, so a complete set of manuals would be good to have so you don't destroy anything because you forgot to turn a switch or pull a lever. I haven't started my Navy surplus boat for that same reason and it just has a Detroit 8V71. I would just hate to spin a main or rod bearing because I did not do something that is very basic, but manditory for that installation.

ajg6989

I served on the m60 and m60a1 rise when we had any engine or tranny problem 90% of the time we pulled the pack and replaced either or both major assemblys. Our main problems were with the brakes the M60 had linkages that had to be adjusted all the time and the M60 A1 had hydraulic brakes that had to be bleed all along the lines to get both the service brakes and the emergency brake to work properly. The only problem I ever had with an av1790 was I had one that would not shut down. It would start to die then pick back up we just let it run out of fuel.

ajg6989

sure its at Fort hood now and last I knew it still ran with the 4id museum had my name on the drivers hatch still last time I was there 3 years ago. I have to scan them though also have alot of interior shots too

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where are you in Bedford Hiils and what meuseam is it at?

I have seen that M60 at Hood many times. I used to work right across the street from it.. :)

Melinda

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didnt need to know the street address, just curious. I know of the place in Danbury. It's by the mall. I'll have to visit there again soon..

I was in 4FSB, AJG... When were you there? I was in 4FSB from 97-01

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks