• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M60 gate guard in Newton NJ

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went up to visit family in NJ last weekend, swung by the Newton Armory in Newton NJ on the way back. I've spent some time here years ago, and the old M60A1 is still parked there as a gate guard for the armory. I used to see this tank driving around in the early 1990s, they used to have it out on the main road, Rt. 206, for years as a recruiting tool. Now it's been dragged back by the main building, still same REALLY faded OD green paint job, almost black now. Paint is peeling off in many places, rust forming in all the crevices, and generally looking like a forgotten soldier. It probably won't be long until the tank is removed by the Army and towed to some range to be used as a target. Sad ending for such a big, honorable warrior.

Wish we could donate some time and paint to help fix her up, but I doubt the Army would like us playing around their "toy".

Attachments

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
That is a shame.. I had one of those beast side swipe me in my M151 In 72 while I was in Oklahoma. 151 looked like a can opener went down the side.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update - drove by the armory last Saturday on the way home from Thanksgiving. It is gone from its post. Methinks the Army finally towed it away to get blasted into steel chunks on some arty range.

Anyone in the NJARNG able to confirm or deny this?

Adamlee

M60 gate guard in VA

Maybe the tank was taken out for refurb as a NJNG lawn ornament - one can hope!

Why don't you just drop into the offices of the folks who own the place, and ask if they know anything about it? They won't bite!

I'm adding another M60 "gate guard"; this is a group shot of us posing on Ft. Pickett's old favorite. (This is a portion of the troopers from my VA State Guard company during annual training last year)

Attachments

emr

It was moved ...BUT to the flight facility most of U guys know as the pickup point for the auctioned trucks at picatiny, as most know it is not picatiny but behind it at the NJ guard maintence facility known to most around here as the flight facility because it housed the heiclopter wing that is now in Southern NJ and actually NOW In Iraq....OK, She is alive and well, and they are not trying to scrap her, But one never knows, I have had a few updates on her, i also try to keep up on things like this, But She will probably be another lawn ornament as it is seen right now, That the Newton Armory was sold off by the state as they have consolidated a few Armory's . But the Sale has had trouble and the recruiters were back in there again after they stripped the Armory, So one never knows, Shop right in front of the Armory was the first buyer, but not sure what went thru or did not, I will ask this week and if this thread is around i will give an update on her and the Building...Randy

dittle

Its unfortunate that these ladies have nothing to look forwared to when retiring except destrucion or rusting away.

emr

Not with a pick up...:wink:...But I just got some news today , 4 years ago, She had a second life and a good run for 6 months, The guys were on there way to Germany and were to be the bad guys in M 60's and try to fight off the M1's , Well turns out most of the guys did not know how to operate an M 60, So the way to get it done guys here in NJ Went out front put in a set a batts and changed the oil and with a little tlc got her running and She fired to life !!! And handled the mission of training the guys like She was a Pup again...!!! That was the last time She ran, The State may take her, Know one knows her fate as of now....The State owns this one, so She won't go to a range to be shot at, But the scrap heap would be worse in my eyes, The Newton American Legion almost got Her, But they were asked to show where the other 3 pieces of Armor are first, And they came up blank, apparently after WW2 they had a few pieces on loan to them and now do not know where they went..., the Military never gives up ownership on these lawn ornaments and the Legions.etc. are responcible for what they have, so this has been a big deal I am sure, So they were turned down....Randy

Last edited:

southdave

I often wonder how they keep tab on this crap, where I grew up the Amer. Leg had a couple of Cannons from WW1 out front the have since closed up not too many WW oner left I guess the cannon eventuall got hauled for scap as i was told by the man who bought the Bldg. not to get off the subject a local township has displayed a M998 or something like it in diarama what waste of taxpayers money for HMMVEE,

emr

The Govt. has taken the time in the last couple of years to update its records of all the armor and artillery around the country , what a mess that must be, apparently it has not been done in some states ever, the places that have it are supposed to take a photo and document the actuall location and send it in, That has got to be one of the biggest mess's going on today...

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember as a kid our local VFW had at least six heavy tripod mounted machine guns nest located in corners of the main hall, they all disappeared around 1968?
James

southdave

I know of pack howz. 75mm in the wood next to displace cemmetary, there is stripe mall and widen road where it was they left the monument and the woods grew up around it ( it is unmaintained) now city is selling the land

emr

I know of pack howz. 75mm in the wood next to displace cemmetary, there is stripe mall and widen road where it was they left the monument and the woods grew up around it ( it is unmaintained) now city is selling the land

It is on the books somewhere, And the info should go to the local legion and see who to contact, it will go to scral possibly if some developer buys the land,

bigflew

So it ran 4 years ago hmmm. I often wonder when I see one in front of a VFW post how many nights it would take a person to cut the welds on the hatches and tracks fuel it up put in batteries and dride it away. or at least winch it onto a lowboy. but this seems like a lot less work.
how hard would they look for it?

Attachments

emr

Well they shot the Guy in california Dead right in the seat ...!!!...:wink:...That would be a national emergancy, They are freaking about ww 2 stuff at some legion posts........

bassetdeuce

The M60 on display at Camp Blanding is in good shape, paintwise. I'll try to remember bringing the camera next time I'm there. Ya just don't realize how BIG those tanks are until you are close enough to touch them. Best looking tank IMO.

saddamsnightmare

April 12th, 2010.

DoD also keeps tabs on the Civil War cannon on courthouse lawns and in cemetaries, very few have escaped legitimately into civillian hands...... I bet they keep tabs on the Tanks, APC and Field artillery from WWII to today.......
At least the Swiss Army seems inclined to ignore the Unimog, as theres no demill "Q" on her.......[thumbzup]

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan;-)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks