• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some (Tank) track

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in the market for about 20' of track. Two 10' sections would be nice.

They made great speed bumps in Iraq, and I want to do the same in my driveway.

There was a butt-load on G-L a while back, but I don't need seven rail-cars full. Just a section or two.

Has anyone seen any out there anywhere?

Thanks in advance.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Need some track

Railroad track or tank track? Tank track, check the usual suspects that deal in MV surplus and scrap metal. Railroad track, call your local railroad office up, explain what you are looking for, and they may be able to hook you up with a length of used-up track for relatively cheap. DO NOT take railroad rail that is left sitting on the railbed side, looking like it's junk. It's still railroad property, and if you are caught with it, first thing a cop will ask is, "where did you chop this out of?" Unless you have a receipt or a letter from a railroad saying you can have it, it may be a crime, or be hard to prove in court that you DIDN'T steal it.

Jones

Barstow Truck Parts scraps out armor and may be a source to check out. Even shorter sections could be spliced together if all else fails.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I suppose my biggest problem is going to be shipping cost if I have to go that route.

The track that was across the road everywhere over there used to p!$$ us off. It wasn't such a big deal for certain vehicles, but for those of us in the 915s, (especially if you were bob-tail), it really blew.

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to let others experience the misery. When someone asks, "Why do you have that tank track across your driveway?," I'll just say, "Oh, just a little something I brought home from the war." :lol:

It also makes a good approach edge. The track guides hold it in place really nice. It's heavy, but useful.

I guess I was just thinking of some possibilities. Probably not very practical if I can't find it close to home.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Bill,

You've seen my driveway. Some days it looks like a stock car pit lane the a$$holes drive so fast doing u-turns in it. I was even threatened with bodily injury by some idiot doing a u-turn and almost hit me on my mower. (In my own driveway!!!) Needless to say that's the biggest reason for mowing with at least one 9mm on my person now.

I have come up with several ideas about stopping the traffic but none of them are cheap. Firing for effect at them isn't an option. :-(
I have found a place where you can buy police spike strips online though. At least that would give them 4 reasons for being ticked off at me.

I'll most like have to put up gates but I like the tank tracks. :)

steve

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I'm just worried the wife will drive in and flatten the tires on her Jaguar and then I'll hear about it.......

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Holy cow!! I forgot Bill, would tracks off a bulldozer work?? Those I can get my hands on for scrap, I think.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Dozer track might be a little flat. Tank has a little more of a "hump," I'd say.

All I know is, the track from an M1 (or M60 for that matter), doesn't scoot. Those guides dig in, (if you turn the inside "down") :lol:

Otherwise, they make great spike-strips!

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike,

Thanks! I called Coleman's. They have 5' sections. The price is $0.20 per pound. A 5' section weighs approx. 300 lbs.

:idea:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was running the bulldozer yesterday and told my brother about what you wanted and then I realized that dozer tracks would not be a good choice. Crane tracks would work since they are not made to provide any traction. Dozer and excavator tracks have the tall cleats for digging in and would most likely tear the heck out of whatever you drove over them eventually.

steve

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would work better than off of a bulldozer. It looks like it is that rubber like track off of a mini excavator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks