• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M715 Gas Tank

AaronW

I know this might be friutless, but I have to ask. Does anyone know of a source for unholy gas tanks? I did a quick search of the site and did not turn up anything. I know guys are turning these rigs into rock crawlers all the time and probably just pitching the tanks in favor of modern fuel cells.

Thanks for any help, Aaron

Attachments

Elwenil

M715 tanks are generally hopeless as they rust out like nothing else. Most are going to fuel cells or tanks in the bed, adapting whatever will fit in the stock position or in the spare tire location or custom building one. Good ones are extremely rare and very expensive.

Keep in mind if you swap a tank into the stock location, or have one made, and plan on swapping to a NP205 transfer case or swapping the driveshaft over to the center output on the NP200 to combat the overheating issue, that you will need to leave more room for the driveshaft. It will clear the stock tank, but not by enough room to make many feel comfortable about it. A bad U-joint could take out the shaft and tank and make for a very bad day.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine started leaking at the bottom seam. It wasn't rusted out, just came apart at the seam. I put some JB Weld on it for a temporary fix. That was 3 years ago. It's not leaking so I'm not worried about it for now :D .

AaronW

Re: RE: M715 Gas Tank

Elwenil said:
M715 tanks are generally hopeless as they rust out like nothing else. Most are going to fuel cells or tanks in the bed, adapting whatever will fit in the stock position or in the spare tire location or custom building one. Good ones are extremely rare and very expensive.

Keep in mind if you swap a tank into the stock location, or have one made, and plan on swapping to a NP205 transfer case or swapping the driveshaft over to the center output on the NP200 to combat the overheating issue, that you will need to leave more room for the driveshaft. It will clear the stock tank, but not by enough room to make many feel comfortable about it. A bad U-joint could take out the shaft and tank and make for a very bad day.
Thanks for the good info!

ChalkOutline

RE: Re: RE: M715 Gas Tank

I made one out of stainless steel, shaped like the original, fit right where the stock tank was. Do a search at the M715Zone (Chalkoutline's posts) site if you want details. Did you think of removing the bottom of the original, blasting the inside, weld in a new bottom (after replacing the screen on the pickup tube and putting in a new sending unit). Then put a tank liner product ( I used POR-15's) to seal up any tiny holes in the welded in bottom. Should be fairly cheap and effective. Just my thoughts.
Jeff

Wolf.Dose

RE: Re: RE: M715 Gas Tank

I have no problems with my gas tank since 28 years. May be, for I fit a Diesel engine to the truck. Modern fuel , the unleaded stuff, will produce with the time some -ester, which is a kind of acid and eat the tank. The only help is to get the tank coated with a ceramic layer. But this can unfortunately mot be done at any radiator shop and is not cheep. I payed for a 14 liter (3 1/2 galons) motorcycle tank around 240 Euro, which actually is about 300 dollar. The M715 tank will be much more expensive! May be, a custom made stainless steel tank is cheeper.
Wolf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks