• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

movie armor/vehicles

m35a2kevin

hey all,
i was curious who, or what companies rent out armor,, and any other military vehicles,
to be used in movies/television shows, and are they careful with the equipment?
kevin

Artillerydan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have rented a few vehicles in my time to the film industry. As a general statement NO the movie company does not take good care of your vehicle. I could count off many abuse instances either due to lack of knowledge of how to use the vehicle or just plain abuse. You or someone you know MUST be there. They can be paid as an extra or as a driver sooo it makes no sense not to have someone there. This could be a LONG subject But I will leave it at that.

wgtactical

This thread reminds me of why I have coined two rules regarding lending.

1) Don't borrow anything that you can't replace
2) Don't lend anything that you can't afford to throw away

B3.3T

Good rules. I've known many MV owners with film experience, some good, some bad, but always interesting.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll never do it again for movies/TV other than the History Channel and the West Point Meuseam.. They know how to treat historical artifacts correctly. Anyone else, the answer is no, I dont care how much $ they are willing to offer, how much screen time they say you will get (that always ends up on the cutting room floor BTW), what insurance they say they have and show you on paper (as whatever is going to happen to your truck is the ONE thing thats not covered)

I learned once, I'll never do it again except for WP and and THC. Those guys are the ONLY ones that take GREAT care of you and the vehicle.

If you have vehicles you flat out dont care about what happens to them, go the movie route.. DONT give them your pride and joy, because chances are it wont come back in the same way you had it.

TacticalTruck

emmado22 said:
I'll never do it again for movies/TV other than the History Channel and the West Point Meuseam.. They know how to treat historical artifacts correctly. Anyone else, the answer is no, I dont care how much $ they are willing to offer, how much screen time they say you will get (that always ends up on the cutting room floor BTW), what insurance they say they have and show you on paper (as whatever is going to happen to your truck is the ONE thing thats not covered)
If you have vehicles you flat out dont care about what happens to them, go the movie route.. DONT give them your pride and joy, because chances are it wont come back in the same way you had it.
Great advice, just tell them no and give them my #! :D
Jeff

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeff, I thought you did a lot of movies and TV with your vehicles? Would you recommend it if you're there with the vehicles and supervise the use of them?

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I met a guy out in CA many years back, who had a BEAUTIFUL 1963 Cadillac convertible. I complimented him on the vehicle. Then he told me the story:

A film company rented it for a Van Halen or David Lee Roth music-video back in the 80s. The ding-a-ling girl they had driving it in the video, wrecked it. BAD! They paid to have it repaired, but obviously the value was destroyed.

I remember the movie, "PATTON," had a bunch of tanks. My guess is, the military must have helped them out in some fashion. I don't know.

B3.3T

"Patton" used M-47, M-48, M-41, and M-24 for all different armies. M-35 trucks for both sides as well. It was mostly filmed in Spain.

kcimb

TacticalTruck said:
emmado22 said:
Great advice, just tell them no and give them my #! :D
Jeff
No, give them mine and I'll throw in a free platoon of invisible abrams tanks.

I thought you were into Tank rides, not movie work.

emr

Like anything else its up to U!! If U blindly go and let them have there way with your stuff u will get what u expect, problems, we the MTA have a very nice movie situation, i have been in a few also, as said, one rule is the simpleist and most important, U are the driver, and yes there is extra pay for it, u will get a day rate and u will become an actor for the year u participate, meaning u will pay into the union when u become an extra, there are alot of benifits and alot of fun, I always have fun ,when some see things as going wrong, i always see whats right, i did a comedy skit with my M38 a few years ago, 20 shots at midnight till early morn, never got paid, but would do it again in a heart beat, i take it all and enjoy it, after all it was experience i did not have before and i learned alot, and they did keep the bar open till morn and we did drink a bit.i have seen guys complain about things i had a blast at, SO I say do it any chance U get, U seem to be a nice easy guy, U will have a blast,I hope some stuff comes your way!!!

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ewe? Ewe? Do I look like a female sheep to ewe???

(Say that like a Marine Corps Drill Instructor for full effect!)

:mrgreen:

We've got plenty "star quality" folks right here at Steel Soldiers, all ready to hit the big screen!

kcimb

oifvet said:
Ewe? Ewe? Do I look like a female sheep to ewe???

(Say that like a Marine Corps Drill Instructor for full effect!)

:mrgreen:

We've got plenty "star quality" folks right here at Steel Soldiers, all ready to hit the big screen!
They still get onto recruits about that OIFvet :lol: . I was never yelled at for it, but tose around me were :lol:

If you are doing movie work, what kind of insurance do you need?

TacticalTruck

I pretty much always go with my stuff unless its for a select few who I've worked for before or it's a vehicle I don't care about. If your truck is a cream puff or you are extreemly particular about your vehicle then it probably shouldn't be out working on set. It's cheaper for them in the long run to have the owner/operator there to make sure the vehicle works properly. I get them to fill out an insurance rider for each vehicle so you are covered under their insurance on set. There will be accidents or incompetence from time to time, just like in the real world but the couple times it's happened to me they made it right. Just get them to spell out before hand, what they expect from you and decide at that point if it's something you are comfortable with. I also prefer to deal directly with the production and not thru a broker who might promise too much and you can loose control.
Jeff

Jones

You ALWAYS stipulate that the lease or rental contract be for vehicle AND driver/operator; and that the driver/operator is the only one to be at the controls at any and all times when it's running. But that still leaves them with the opportunity to have some actor, extra, any of a number of movie set labor types, catering trucks, porta-potty pumpers, etc. blunder into it and break something.
If they balk at that condition then tell them to have a nice day.
Movie companies have a they'll-be-quiet-if-we-just-throw-enough-money-at-them attitude. That may get them off the hook for damages but it doesn't magically put your MV back on the road in the shape it was in before they got their hands on it.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Movie companies have a they'll-be-quiet-if-we-just-throw-enough-money-at-them attitude. That may get them off the hook for damages but it doesn't magically put your MV back on the road in the shape it was in before they got their hands on it.
Thats 10000% true...... And happened in my case..

msehring

movie rentals

We rent vehicles to the movie industry. www.tankstogo.com
a few rules that we use are: we go along with the vehicles. we operate all difficult vehicles. we train operators of easier to operate vehickes. we have the right to refuse stupid requests. we get paid for our time from the movie company separate from the rental contract.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks