• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AFVs for sale

Ol-Paint

Sometimes, you can find some interesting things on this here interweb--and by the side of the road. Although I have no relation to the sellers or financial interest in the sale, I thought this might be of interest to you guys:
http://greenbay.craigslist.org/cto/868687654.html

"A 1959 U.S. Army M56 "Scorpion" 90MM Tank Destroyer Full tracked vehicle. All aluminum body, Continential air cooled motor, GM Allison transmission. Rubber tracks, Steel cleats with rubber inserts. Spare track section comes with vehicle. The motor does not run. Pop in a Chevy small block to the GM Allison transmission and have the BADDEST ride in town! The 90MM gun is a tapered steel barrel repro made to "fire" propane and oxygen to make noise only. Other than missing the original gun, the vehicle is pretty much complete and original. Tracks and bogey wheels look good.
Or just give it a coat of O.D. paint and have the wildest lawn ornament in town!
These were made by GM Cadillac division for the U.S. Military, And this is a fairly rare vehicle." $7,500.00

Back in August, I was cruising through Michigan & spotted this M8/M20 on the side of the road:
http://img137.imageshack.us/my.php?image=m8orm20loader001ox5.jpg
http://img380.imageshack.us/my.php?image=m8orm20loader002oh4.jpg
http://img124.imageshack.us/my.php?image=m8orm20loader003if9.jpg
It took a while to develop the film, but I called and it is still for sale. (231) 225-1903. I'm told it runs good and that it comes with a back blade. Asking price is $3500. As I recall, it is located on M-37 somewhere around Newaygo or White Cloud, MI.

Moderators, if this isn't appropriate for this forum, please move it to the correct place/delete it.

Douglas

[Edited to add pictures.]

Attachments

Ol-Paint

I've attached the photos to the original post.

I will say I had to do a triple-take when I saw the loader. I didn't inquire as to whether the current owner is also the person that converted the machine, or whether any of the removed parts were still available. I am entertained/interested by the innovation involved in these conversions, although I do prefer that the vehicles remain closer to stock--especially when it comes to rarer/more specialized iron.

I have to admit, though, some conversions are really impressive--for instance, an M2 HST converted to a wheeled tractor... :shock: I don't have pictures of that conversion, but I guess it was one man's solution to the lack of replacement tracks.

Cash is always a problem, but so is space (my daily driver has long since been displaced from the apartment's garage by tools & junk). It's probably a good thing I rent an apartment--I'd be dragging home all kinds of stray iron... :)

Douglas

kcimb

I have 1k$ in cash available now..wonder if they'd take it for the scorpion? That's an awesome deal for US armor!

Looks like it uses the standard m114/m29 track. Did some googling and it's a fascinating vehicle. Was disliked by crews because it had no protection against hostile fire and recoiled violently when the 90mm gun fired (even with reduced charge).

weighs 7-8 tons, 6 cylinder contintental engine. Used by 101st and 82nd airborne.

That m8/m20..is..uhh...BUTCHERED! Belongs in madawg308s thread.

outsider

First, Thanks Ol-Paint for posting this stuff, I never would have know about it otherwise.

I have a 114 sitting in my shop and I have gotten photos from the M59's owner(yes I'm interested in it) and the tracks are NOT the same.

If I thought a $1000.00 would buy it I'd aready be headed to WI.

I'll let you know if I get it.
Steve

Ol-Paint

Not a problem, Steve. That's why I posted it--of course, if I had the space & money, I'd probably have dragged 'em home rather than posting! ;) Good luck with the purchase.

Douglas

Ol-Paint

Outsider,

I might have a lead on a running chassis for an M56 just up the road from me. The guy that told me about it said his buddy thought the chassis is a runner, but I haven't contacted the owner, yet. I'll try to give them a call later this week and find out price and see if it is has the original engine. I took a brief look at it and it does not appear to have any part of the gun mount, but I'm not very familiar with the M56, so I don't know how much of the vehicle above the tracks is original. I'll post an update when I get more information. I'll also try to get some pictures.

Depending on the price, you might be able to combine the two to make a complete runner?

Douglas

[Edited to add last sentence.]

98hd

Ol-Paint said:
Outsider,

I might have a lead on a running chassis for an M56 just up the road from me. The guy that told me about it said his buddy thought the chassis is a runner, but I haven't contacted the owner, yet. I'll try to give them a call later this week and find out price and see if it is has the original engine. I took a brief look at it and it does not appear to have any part of the gun mount, but I'm not very familiar with the M56, so I don't know how much of the vehicle above the tracks is original. I'll post an update when I get more information. I'll also try to get some pictures.

Depending on the price, you might be able to combine the two to make a complete runner?

Douglas

Where abouts? I know there is a guy around Wallace, that has a Running Chassis for an M5 HST

[Edited to add last sentence.]
Where abouts? I know there is a guy around Wallace, that has a Running Chassis for an M5 HST Maybe that is what he's thinking of?

Ol-Paint

This one is just off of 180 outside Marinette, WI. I drove past it over the weekend and it is the hull of an M56.

I see M725 found a story on the one from Craig's List: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=27902

Douglas

[Edit: I called the owner, Wagner's Auto, and he provided the following information. The engine has been swapped out for a 351 Cleveland. He last drove it approximately 1 year ago and it was driving fine at that time. He went on to say that he isn't sure of the condition of the engine as the air intake tends to collect water and that it is possible the engine may now have some water in it. The machine was purchased from a cable company auction along with a second hull (that has complete suspension & good tracks) and some spare sets of tracks, roadwheels, and various other parts. He is currently asking $1800 for the 'runner' and another $500 for the parts & spare hull. You can get in touch with the owner at (715) 732-4929. When I get some pictures, I'll post them.]

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i know its been quite a while since the last post on tbis topic but does anyone know what happened to these two m56s

armorforrent

Jason, if you get a sec reach out to me at this email. Armorforrent @GMail.com there is no space in front of the @ just do that to not get any spam. Like to discuss Dragoons with you and your knowledge.

Thanks,

Kyletelgen561

Sometimes, you can find some interesting things on this here interweb--and by the side of the road. Although I have no relation to the sellers or financial interest in the sale, I thought this might be of interest to you guys:
http://greenbay.craigslist.org/cto/868687654.html

"A 1959 U.S. Army M56 "Scorpion" 90MM Tank Destroyer Full tracked vehicle. All aluminum body, Continential air cooled motor, GM Allison transmission. Rubber tracks, Steel cleats with rubber inserts. Spare track section comes with vehicle. The motor does not run. Pop in a Chevy small block to the GM Allison transmission and have the BADDEST ride in town! The 90MM gun is a tapered steel barrel repro made to "fire" propane and oxygen to make noise only. Other than missing the original gun, the vehicle is pretty much complete and original. Tracks and bogey wheels look good.
Or just give it a coat of O.D. paint and have the wildest lawn ornament in town!
These were made by GM Cadillac division for the U.S. Military, And this is a fairly rare vehicle." $7,500.00

Back in August, I was cruising through Michigan & spotted this M8/M20 on the side of the road:
http://img137.imageshack.us/my.php?image=m8orm20loader001ox5.jpg
http://img380.imageshack.us/my.php?image=m8orm20loader002oh4.jpg
http://img124.imageshack.us/my.php?image=m8orm20loader003if9.jpg
It took a while to develop the film, but I called and it is still for sale. (231) 225-1903. I'm told it runs good and that it comes with a back blade. Asking price is $3500. As I recall, it is located on M-37 somewhere around Newaygo or White Cloud, MI.

Moderators, if this isn't appropriate for this forum, please move it to the correct place/delete it.

Douglas

[Edited to add pictures.]

byrdman1312

My dad was a artillery mechanic for 101ABN. They referred to these as a SPAT, self propelled anti tank. I remember dad talking about they demilled a bunch of those for a surplus sale, don't remember the year. They were bought by a logging company somewhere up Wisconsin way, or at least in that part of the US. I'll bet that one in MI is one of those.
And yes. those tracks are not the same as the M29.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks