• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mod ideas and questions

K45

I have been reading up on these trucks and was trying to think of a very capable set up with these things ( I know they already very capable).

1. I notice they are 56lug hubs and they are odd size for different rims selection. Are these axle set up to swap different hubs from other Dana 60 and 70 with a more standard lug size for wheels and disc brake set up?

2. I know about the 4 spd tranny and thinking about fuel economy and function how hard it would to have the nv4500 without alot of crazy mods? I think I have read of someon doing it but not alot of details. i have heard more about the sm465, but I like the overdrive gear.

3. Since it is close to the dodge family, from the 1st time looking at these guys I wonder about single or dual stacks behind the cab around the bed like the little red wagon of dodge. i have not seen it and wonder if anyone has done this?

4. I notice the measuremets they are 210 in long this is only 9 in shorter than a suburban. Has anyone have manuvering issues with these guys on the road and offroad?

5. The owners of these vehicles how much have they enjoyed them? What are key points you really like and what are the major weak points? also what areas to concider before getting one. I am checking m715 zone with these issues as well. Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What are you asking about? The 715 has 6 lug wheels and a 4 speed. Lots of guys swap out 715 axles for cucv 4.56 gears disc brakes and a locker. Many go with the 350 chevy and sm465 4 speed trans, others go with the 4500, I prefer the deuce trans.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one and will try to answer your questions:

1. They are 6 lug not 5. They hubs are not swappable. What you see is what you get. There are a couple of companies that make disc brake conversions but they are $$$$

2. If you use the original 230 motor you will have problems. Novak makes an adapter to use the original tranny with a different motor. Haven't seen one to change the tranny and keep the motor. YMMV

3.Without cutting thru the bed you will not be able to put a stack on.

4. Unless you add power steering, your on road and off road driving is a task.

5. They are a blast. Nothing like a 5/4 ton Jeep. Thumbs up everywhere. The main issue is the motor. The original is underpowered and parts are hard to comeby if you want to stay original. There have been 6bts, 4bts, fords, chevies, buicks, AMCs, just about any engine has been put in one.

Welcome to the Zone. You will get more answers over there.

Warthog

K45

sorry typo on the 5 lug. i meant six lug. I thought I read they had a 3 spd but I rechecked and it is a T-98 4speed so sorry about that. I am still learning about deuce and know nothing of their trannys. i do like the Herculies engines, but do not know a ton about them either. Thanks for striaghting me out.

I definitely would be looking at a different motor more likely a 6.2, but I am leaving it open to all kinds of ideas. i am just probing right now. Power steering would be a good idea. I could not remember if the m715 front axle was pasenger side drop or driverside. If thats the case I have a CUCv front axle and a14 bolt with disc in the rear. I have been reading about people and the brake boost and having to shorten the piston arm and a few other little clearence issues, but I am still learning and I thank you for your time and correcting me.

Last edited:

BugEyeBear

DEFINITELY go to the M715Zone.com website for more info!

They have forum sections dedicated to stock restorations and to modifications. Guys on there are REALLY GOOD about supporting other forum members with info, tips, advise, and help wherever possible. Many guys post LOTS of info about their own modifications and upgrades, including pictures. ALSO lots of good parts suppliers there and complete service manuals online.

In short, if you have an M715 you are doing yourself a BIG favor by joining "The Zone"!

"Cheers!"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks