• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Halftrack identification needed

TACTICAL6

I have been eyballing this halftrack from a distance for several years now. Today I finally stopped and took a peek at it. I didn't know that a halftrack crane really existed. But the owner says it is original equipment and very rare. After doing a little searching on google and such, I am not able to find anything. So, it is either really rare, or just some cobbled up old halftrack. My first MV was a cobbled up halftrack. It had 2 feet added to the middle of the frame with and additional transfer case added in there. Anyway, He says it ran a few years ago with a rebuilt international motor, needs one track, and well you can see the general condition. Does anyone know what the model is? Any ideas on what it is worth?

Attachments

halftrack

That crane is not even close to being original to that halftrack. The halftrack could be any one of many variants, however, that crane looks to be from a 2 1/2 ton wrecker truck. Definetly was not part of the halftrack. The front winch on the halftrack is original though (at least most of it).

woodwalker

the army did mount a few crane after the 1/2 track was substitute standard.
1950s
as far as that one check the frame usually the mods will damage it.

is it a m3 long frame or m2 short frame?

really as it sits $2000 tops if you really want to go thr the work and expense.
just my .02

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I would say it is worth scrap value at most and I do not believe the "original crane" idea. Half tracks are semi rare if they are complete and in fairly good condition. You can find butchered ones fairly often.
As a quasi collector I would pass on that one unless it was dirt cheap or it had something I really needed parts wise.

halftrack

I would say it is worth scrap value at most and I do not believe the "original crane" idea. Half tracks are semi rare if they are complete and in fairly good condition. You can find butchered ones fairly often.
As a quasi collector I would pass on that one unless it was dirt cheap or it had something I really needed parts wise.

ditto

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Tactical6 I would like more pics of that crane if you get back out there. I know other guys that have them and would want parts. If you pass on buying it, could you send me some info on it?

Blythewoodjoe

Piece of junk. HIGHLY modified and if I understand you it doesn't have the original engine. Good for parts unless someone wants a real job. $1500 at most. It has most of the death marks on it: Butchered cab, drive train mods, little armor, cut armor, rear frame probably welded and cut. This would only be worth getting if someone could get it cheap and didn't want a nice original. Even if this was free, it wouldn't be worth restoring because there are very restorable vehicles out there at desent prices.

The above is the opinion of the author and in no way refects of the views of Steelsoldiers or it's staff:roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks