• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member, Stuart tank M20 armored car, M3 half tracks

tankdriver

Hi guys,
New member here. I really like armor and restoring it. I have owned a M5A1 Stuart and a M20 Armored car. I had to let both go do to daughters health. Had $275,000 in medical bills in 3 years... :cry: I sold the tank to Jon Shoop out of St Louis, he stores it in the Ft Knox area. You can see the tank on cable I think Discovery Channel runs it. The title I think is "Rich, Boys Toys". The one he is standing in talking to the reporter is my old one. The M20 went to the Mid South Military Musuem. Here's a photo of both at a Air Show in Arkanas.

I just traded as a friend says "Junk for junk" and got 2 M3 Halftracks to restore. If you can call then halftracks.... May be quarter tracks... :)

Here's a couple photos of both. Wish me luck on restoring them. If anyone has any parts they want to sell "CHEAP" let me know... :)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Now THOSE are projects!

Good luck, sorry to hear about your daughter's health bills.

ajg6989

I liked working on both the M5 and M3. The twin cadillacs on the M5 and the radial on M3. Was surprised that the 37mm was shoulder mounted to the gunner. the M5 I remember the laterals were mounted above the driver instead of on the floor.

tankdriver

clinto said:
Now THOSE are projects!

Good luck, sorry to hear about your daughter's health bills.
Yep,
Should be fun.

Thanks for the kind thoughts on my daughter, you do what you have to do...
She takes about 10 pills a day, and goes to 3 doctors a month. she finished college, has a good job, still home, BUT the main thing.....
She is on her own insurance now..... :jumpin: ... [thumbzup]

tankdriver

ajg6989 said:
I liked working on both the M5 and M3. The twin cadillacs on the M5 and the radial on M3. Was surprised that the 37mm was shoulder mounted to the gunner. the M5 I remember the laterals were mounted above the driver instead of on the floor.
Yep, that was on the M3, the M5A1 actually had gyro stablized cannon. But because of the small spaces, most of the time, they kept it turn off where it would not come down on their knees.

oldordie

Makes me feel good!

I thought I was taking on a big job with my M2A1, I feel a lot better now. Sometimes it's hard for some to see a "gem" through all the stuff. When the wife saw mine the first time, it was hard to tell the half-track from the farm junk. I have found it a very easy vehicle to work on and restore with a budget, providing you have the facility to pull it off. By the way, where is Collierville? I'm in Lebanon, about 30 miles east of Nashville.

tankdriver

Collierville is a little east of Memphis. My wife has put up with a Tank, a M20, now 2 Halftracks, and does reenacting as a WAC.

Puts up with a lot.

At least there are quit a few parts out there for the halftracks.

tankdriver

They just formed a Vehicle club in Nashville, that has MVPA affilation. are you a member? There is a guy outside of Savana TN that has a bunch halftracks. Have you met him?

oldordie

Nashville MVPA Chapter

Yes to both. I joined the new chapter from the start. I have e-mailed the guy in Savana and traded photo's. He has some stuff, but all M3's on his end.

tankdriver

Keep in touch, I go to Nashville, to teach electronics at a forklift dealership there all the time. Maybe we can get together if you do not mind being seen with a OLD guy...... :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks