• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Experimental 5/4t? - XM705

NEIOWA

Anyone know anything about this truck? Looks like std cab and M101 trailer box.

FD says was an experimental 5/4t they recieved from DOD surplus. Data plate 3000lb payload. They say they use for wildland fire w/300gal water tank. I asked for additional info/photos.

Windsor Ma FD

http://firenews.org/mass/WindsorB1.jpg

WindsorB1.jpg

Edit from m16ty- The above link is dead, see post 5 for a pic of the truck. This is the exact reason we don't allow links to pics (they tend to go dead after awhile).

Last edited by a moderator:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is an XM705, competitor to replace the M37 series.

Had a GM 307 V-8, 144hp. 4-speed transmission, 2-speed transfer case.
Weight 6929 #
204"L x 84"W x 73"H (cab) to 104"H (bows)
WB 133" Tires 9.00x20

Said to be an excellent performer, but too expensive to produce at $5400 each. Lost out to the M715.

Rare truck, looks to be in excellent condition. I hope someone preserves it when the fire dept is done with it.
I'd like to see the rest of the pictures when you get them.

Cheers

Edit- Attached NEIOWA's pic in case the link goes dead one day...

Attachments

Last edited:

W1IM

That truck looks very familiar. Maybe its just me though.

Wait a minute, that is me; driving in the 2010 Pittsfield, MA 4th of July parade.

I had posted the picture of this truck on another forum, but never got around to putting up the extra pictures or info. I will post them here though since there seems to be interest.

Attachments

emr

I go for the Merry go round also, i think i just saw some at a fair recently... :)... Sorry but the work Goofy comes to mind when i look at it.. but hey every body is different...

W1IM

As promised, additional pictures of the m705.

The payload according to the data plate is actually 2500lbs. The max towed pintle load is 3000lbs. I must have gotten those two specs mixed up.

The truck is federal property and acquired by my fire dept through the federal excess property program. Unfortunately with this program, if the department ever replaces it or has no more use for it, the truck must be returned to the government.

I agree that the cab could easily have been made a foot lower, but the low bed sides have served us very well. It makes accessing tools and equipment easy. The truck sits high enough that if the sides were any higher you would need to stand on something to reach the inside.

Prior to our acquisiton of the truck in the early 80s, it was owned by General Electric and used in the development of transmissions for military cargo trucks and bradley tanks. When we got it, it was missing some parts, and had to be rebuilt. This was well before my time, so I don't have any more details. It has a 4 speed standard transmissin which I believe is the correct one for the truck, and a chevy V8 engine. I was always told that it was a 350, but I never bothered to check.

For a forest fire truck, it has performed very well for us, and been able to carry all of our equipment without being so large that it can't get through the woods.

If anyone has questions, I will do my best to answer them.

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

Shop Rat Fab

Ron's party store in my home town here in Michigan had the radio box version of this truck behind their store for years they used to drive it in the winter. Same old story my brother in law tried to buy it but they would not sell then one day it was gone said they sold it to a farmer down south. I bet the person who bought it knew what he was buying a prototype and just said he was a farmer. I wish I would have taken pix of it.

Elwenil

I believe the engine was originally a GM 307. If it still has all the waterproof accessories it is probably still the same engine.

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
I disagree. It doesn't even look like a truck. The bed sides are really low like a flatbed from the 30s and the cab is way too tall. It's just no proportioned right to look like a truck. Looks more like it should be mounted to a merry-go-round or something, lol.
I hate to disagree with you but the cab is not "way too tall." Not everyone is less than 6' too, you know. Us 7-footers like to have a little head room when we drive! ;)

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the interesting thing in the pictures is the date of delivery:10/20/71 and has an actual contract date
what seems strange to me is,the M-715 series won the contract on the 5/4 Tactical vehicle contest in
1967and the contract ran I think through 1969 yet this Chevy XM was built in 71? Things that make you go
HHHMMMMMHHH??????
popacom / BILL in KY. :cookoo:

Fishtail

They made a upgraded M715E1 for this bid in 1971 as well, it had batteries behind the now full width bench seat, can't remember what else was upgraded. Might have had a cable operated parking brake as well.

Hood had the civilian center trim piece, so the brush guard had a notch for it to fit.

Search M715E1 on the zone for this rare truck.

Scott

FortPlain

I disagree. It doesn't even look like a truck. The bed sides are really low like a flatbed from the 30s and the cab is way too tall. It's just no proportioned right to look like a truck. Looks more like it should be mounted to a merry-go-round or something, lol.
:funny:

The proportioning does look a little off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks