• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m715 brush truck rebuild

fireman74201

the fire dept that i am on has a kaiser that we used as a brush truck.
a couple of years ago we had a woods fire and we blew the engine up, and it has gone thur a few mechanics and no one has the truck up and running.
so while im in from college a couple of friend and i are going to drop a used chevy 305 in itand i was just wondering if anyone has any advice??
if u can give me any send it my way

Attachments

PaladinMan187

If I remember correctly JP Magazine did a piece on dropping a GM 350 *a small block Chevy is a small block Chevy* into one of these trucks. I'll see If I have any of my old issues left laying around. You may be able to find it online too.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Novak Enterprises make the adapter to mount the Chevy bellhousing to the stock T-98 trans. If you use the auto trans, you have to fabricate a little jack shaft to go from the trans to the x-fer case. Stock motor mount location works ok.

BugEyeBear

ok thinks for the advice so far
i have another question...
do u think 3 college aged guys that go to a tech. college could do this in about 2 1/2 weeks
All depends on how mechanically inclined you are...
...& what tools you can borrow from school...
...and how much sleep you are willing to skip...
...and if you have a solid supply of Red Bull, Top Ramen, Hot Pockets, and (of course) BEER!
:beer:

Heck, you are college guys.... staying up all hours and working up against an unrealistic deadline should be 2nd nature by now!

GO FOR IT! :grd:

-Bear-

PS: Be sure to post LOTS of pictures!!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
and u tryied????
where did u go to skool at?
I tried, and succeeded, that is, with rebuilding the 302 in my M135 deuce. College algebra, not so successful.

This was at a little old skool in College Station, TX.

Back to your original question, of course I would go for it. I would use the automatic for a brush truck, so you can focus on the fire and not driving and shifting. Maybe you can get a local wrecking yard to donate an entire take out engine/trans in return for some publicity. You can put the take out Tornado 230 and T98 on ebay and make a few hundred.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ok thinks for the advice so far
i have another question...
do u think 3 college aged guys that go to a tech. college could do this in about 2 1/2 weeks

Why so long to finish? I could do it with some kid to pass me tools in less than a week, even without taking any time off. If you plan it out well and get all the parts staged, should be a very quick swap, especially if the donor is a runner. I highly recommend you make sure it is. Swapping in a bad motor sucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks