• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

230 tornado rebuild kit plus other info wanted

panzerjunky

Hello Gents

I am buying a decent M715 and am wondering if there ate any rebuild kits out there for the 230 tornado engine I know I can do a Chevy 350 swap but I am interestd in restoring it to as close to original issue condition as possible. But I have been told there are NO rebuild kits out there.
The engine runs fine But........ If I am doing a restro I might as well rebuild....Right?
This is a subjective question But what conditions would you look for to make your decision rebuild or just pull clean and re paint.
Thanks Jerry

Barrman

VPW, Memphis and AB Linn might have between the 3 all the parts you need for a complete rebuild of the engine. Don't count on it however or that it will be anywhere near cheap or the price of rebuilding a more popular engine.

If it runs, doesn't look like a water fall at the rear main seal and the water pump is tight, leave it alone and just paint it.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Barrman. Find a good engine, paint it, put in some magic friction reducer (teflon) to help with the cam lubrication, and run it. My Tornado has been running great for years at 50 mph road speed max.

phantomjeep

I have the 230 OHC in my M715 and my 1963 J200 Jeep truck, the same engine, only the distributor and carb is different. gasket kits and seals are the same, jeep is famous for not changing any part they could use again.

shepsjeep

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Panzer,

I agree with Barrman, NOT CHEAP TO REBUILD!!
I am currently working on mine to get it up to par. It ran for two years and last year it decided to cause me some major issues, mainly with the electrical system. It took a while to find a distributor, but I finally got an NOS one. After finding 5 wires with the insulation stripped, I decided to replace the front wiring harness. (replacing it later on) When it started, it ran for about 30 minutes then stopped. It wouldn't start again. I checked the gas and it was 1/2 full. It ended up I needed to get the fuel tank cleaned and sealed. It had been sealed 2 times with a sealer that broke down and clogged the pickup tube in the tank. The engine started leaking oil near the rear of the engine (the oil pressure sender line ! Time consuming to replace!! ) Also replacing the valve cover gasket it is not leaking but cracked really bad.
Since the truck is in great condition exterior and interior body, I plan to invest the money into it bringing it back to original. Check m715zone.com as well. Tons of info and the guys are great without all the BS....

Rick

Wolf.Dose

Officially the parts for the 230 Tornado engine are not any more in the books. I tried many source in Europe and the States, including the Big Book as a guide and direct contact to seal makers. If you find a dealer arround that can get still the parts like the seal kits you are the lucky one. However, with standard sealing paper you are able to produce a lot of the seals by yourself. Also cork from a plate is helpfull for some seals. Radials should be standard parts, find the numbers on them and scout an industry supply. They are better asorted than auto car parts shops to my experience.
Wolf

southdave

Trident machinary
6989 Bennett Road,
Cincinnati, OH 45230

(513) 271-4940
(513) 271-4758 Fax

Products & Services

• Farm Machinery
  • Maintenance
  • Muscle Cars
  • On Site Service Available
Customers Served

Industrial

Additional Information

• Farm Machinery
  • Maintenance
  • Muscle Cars
  • On Site Service Available
Customers Served

Industrial

Additional Information

Single To 16 Cylinder, Gas OR Alcohol, Simple Motors To Giant Diesefs, We Also Work On Farm Machinery & Muscle Cars
ul { margin-left: 0px; }li.inCat { display: inline; }Appears in the Categories

230 tornado rebuild kit

Last edited:

sf38a1

230 are not cheap to rebuild, the rod bearings where around $150 , mains where around $250, check with Kanter parts in New Jersey for engine parts .thats where I found most of mine.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I bought my M715 about 5 years ago the engine was tired and burnt oil. I checked on the rebuild parts but after pricing them and realizing the tornado wasn't the best engine Jeep ever made, I started looking for another engine to use. The problem is the thing won't die. I drive it quite a bit and other than adding a quart of oil about every 500 miles, it just keeps on plugging along.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks