• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M715 winch wanted and some winch questions

panzerjunky

Hello Gents
Hope life is treating you all well
I am in the Middle of buying a decent M715 although it is without winch are there complete winch setups out there and what am I looking at paying for one first in usable cond second in rebuildable cond were they the braden like on the M37?
I see from the basic info that I can find that the telephone repair trucks were the only ones issued off the line with winches and the regular pickup version was not normally equipped W/W and they found there way onto the trucks after initial issue. is ther any fact to this .
Thanks Jerry

Barrman

30K or so M715's were built. 5-10% of those have owners now who show up on line. Out of that pool, the numbers bear out that about 15-20% of trucks came from the factory with a winch. Go to the "vin registry" link on the Zone if you want to follow the numbers yourself since I am generalizing.

The point is that w/w M715s from the factory were made and are out there. I actually have 2 of them I am holding for other people or working on right now at my place. I know of another pair that were not w/w trucks that are now wearing them or will when we are done working on it.

The M715 frame rails are 34" apart. A M37 is thinner. So, the winch though basically the same between the two trucks is mounted waaayyy differently. The M37 kind of like a M35 end to end between the frame rails and the M715 is bolted on front to back. I just walked over to a w/w truck in my class and counted 13 parts of the winch mount.

So, your best bet is to get a winch and all the parts that allow it to bolt up. Otherwise, you will be chasing parts for a long long time.

There is a set up for sale or at least there was on the Zone recently. They pop up pretty often. All it takes is money.

Barrman

There is a complete mounting set up for $175. You really need to go to the Zone and look in the classifieds since I don't want to be linking stuff between the two sites.

Wolf.Dose

Vintage Power wagon sells complete winch asseys for about 2500 $. They say the set includes everything you need to fix a winch to an original M715-Series truck, including frame extentions, front bumper, winch, drive train and operating lever assey.
Wolf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks