• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hercules Diesel Engine in a M715

davidkroberts

I know you can put a Hecules 4DT 85Hp engine from a Generator in a M715 or M37 without too many problems. Can you do the same with the Hercules 6 Cylinder model from the 30 KW generator? Has anyone ever looked at doing this. Do you think you could find a bellhousing adapter to work even if the fit/rotation/ height issues are worked out?

I know there are much easier engine conversions that can be done. GM 350 gas/ 6.2 L milspec diesel, 4BT Cummins ect. Im just wanting a project to figure out. My stock engine is fine and im happy with it but doing something new is just too tempting not to look into.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There might be length issues, like when a 6B is stuffed into a GM product like the CUCV. You might need to use electric fans. To clear the axle, the pan needs to be a front or rear sump or the engine will sit too high. Also, a generator os made to run at a constant RPM, 1800 or 3600 depending on the poles and frequency. There might be a driveability issue due to the lack of low RPM torque rise...they weren't made for 700 to rated RPM operation, only a set high RPM.

tndonor

Cummins options

I can only speak of the Cummins options as that is what I have experience with. I had a 1980 J10 that had a cummins 4b. Fit no problem. I currently have a 67 m715 I am putting a Cummins 6B into. I will run an electric fan to keep the stock dodge hoses. But it fits. I am going to keep the intercooler so Ill trim the front valance to recess it in there. The main question is are you willing to alter the stock panels, if so anything is possible.

As for a constant duty engine (generator, pump, etc). They are designed to be effecient at a given RPM. They MAY have a different camshaft which if spun at road speeds for prolonged periods can chew up cam lobes. Also even more important is the injection pump. If it is a load governed pump, IT CANNOT BE USED ON THE ROAD. Nor can it be modified for road use. The throttle is load dependant and essentially the big skinny pedal in the floor is in the pump itself.

Again, this is related to Cummins. I imagine that other motors are of similar design but I cannot speak for certain.

Hope this helps

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last year at Haspin, there was a guy that pulled in with a nice M715. It had several subtle modifications on the outside. It also had a small Hercules 6 cyl diesel under the hood! It looked fantastic. I do not recall the guys name(anyone remember him?)

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember the truck, but not who owned it.

I think I remember Gimpy, Junk, maybe Westy, and Deucebigandslow all looking at it when I was.

saddamsnightmare

March 3rd, 2015

davidkroberts:

So why the conversion? Speaking for myself, the only problem I had with the M715 gas six was the carburetor could be a problem now and the, and the water pump always was a problem with the 4 belt pulley- it would eat front pump bearings.
If you want a diesel, why not get the KIA version and be the first one in the states to have one?;-)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks