• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1 tank hulls at DRMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ida34

I think they are sold as scrap metal. That is alot of metal. It would probably bring that amount just to be melted down.

Dieselsmoke

Yep, they are sold for scrap. BUYER SHALL ATTEND A START OF WORK MEETING AT DRMO ANNISTON PRIOR TO COMMENCING WORK, PARA12. USG RETAINS TITLE TO THE MATERIAL UNITL DEMILITARIZATION IS ACCOMPLISHED AND CERTIFIED

http://www.govliquidation.com/forms/Surveillance_Plan.pdf Demil requirements.

As sad as it is, a LOT of stuff that comes through GL is bought by scrap contractors. Although, some times that can work to your benefit! We had a deal going with the guy who had the aluminum scrap at Fort Carson, CO, and were getting boatloads of HMMWV parts for pennies.
There was a scrap yard in Denver that had bought 150 M151A2 that had been run over by a tank to demil. We contacted the guy as there was still a LOT of good useable parts on these things but his whole purpose in life was to melt them down and would not let us even look at them.

AKJEEP

Picked up a bunch of plastic mock-up targets last year - very realistic!
Good for creepin' out the neighbors!
If anyone knows where to find some more, I'd be interested.....

Katch1

wallew theres 2,700,00 lbs of aircraft and parts up for auction at davis-monthan afb right now should bring way more than $152,000. c-141, f-14,s-3,very precious metals in those buggys

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
F-14's are FULL of titanium.

ida34

I looked the auction over. It is a crying shame that these aircraft are going to be demilled. The way they are wrapped it seems like they are in mothballs and are probably in good condition. Others have been sent to boneyards in the desert and they are picked over for parts. These obviously were not parted out. What a waste. I think about the fact that only 12 or so B-17's survived and they were sold to the public not demilled. I weep for this equipment that will be the rare antique military aircraft of tommarow.

rdixiemiller

I agree with that. I hate to see an old warbird getting chopped up with the guillotine. Of course, I hate to see an old MV getting the same treatment.
However, if that didn't happen....................
We would be up to our rectums in old military hardware.
Would that be a bad thing?

P.S. I have a B-17 pilots side sliding window in my basement. Granddad brought it home when they were using B-17's for target drones in the late '40's. He was going to cut it up for the plexiglass, but never did.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks