• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cat 3116 engine swap into my m715

snakeater

Ok guys and girls, the die is cast it is official. I have just acquired a caterpillar 3116 with the allison 542 automatic to go into my blue m-715. It is the 260 hp version and has the overdrive allison behind it. Engine and trans will arrive here around my birthday on the 18th of the month. (Happy birthday to me!) There are a few things that have to be worked out that I would like a little help with if anyone has the time. First off the weight is about 300lbs heavier than a 6bt combo. Do ya'll think the front springs will take the weight? What could be swapped in that would? The stock front and rear end are staying for now, but will get upgraded with axles and brakes unless i run across a set of deuce axles cheap before hand. Power steering is a certainty and this will be the first mod when the engine is pulled. Cat already has a PS pump. This being a medium duty engine/transmission the allison has no park, this will have to be addressed. If I retain the stock axles I think a line lock will be in order when the hydroboost setup goes in to act as a parking brake. Np205 transfer case will also be swapped in providing i can find one. This should be fun and will truly be the beast of all beasts, opinions observations are always greatly appreciated. Anyone that would like to get some wrenchtime on this is more than welcome. So what do you think men?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's an awfully big engine to put in a M715 but If you want to do this, go ahead. Better check you're front axle/oilpan clearance to start with.

The front springs are going to be loaded for sure but you can add leafs. Any spring shop should be able to fix you up.

Line locks work ok but you'll still need to chock the wheels. Line locks can leak off in time and release the brakes.

I personally think this is too large of engine to put in a m715. I'd buy a deuce to drop that engine/tranny combo in :wink:.

snakeater

I have read three articles so far of 3116's being swapped into different vehicles. A ford f-250, a chevy 2500 and a 60's ford half ton. All these vehicles are lighter duty and smaller under the hood than an m715. Size wise it is only slightly larger than a 6bt which is commonly swapped into m715's. I know there will be clearance issues in the engine bay, but not anything that cannot be overcome with slight modification. Weight wise it is heavier, but the suspension in the m715 is more suitable than any of the other vehicles I have seen this swap done on. The only real concern I have is the extra power and torque breaking parts. Deuce axles are in the future for this truck for sure. I am also looking into the parking brake issue to get some direction. Now i just have to find some of the cool caterpilar fender badges for it:-D:mrgreen:

watrousmark

Darn, wish I could be there but I must make the captialist gold when I can as the G-man would say. I'm proud for ya Brian and I may be free to ride out that way in another week or so.

bcowanwheels

after we talked i looked at one of these cat engines and theres no way its gonna fit in a m715. i hope i,am wrong. also the stock frame & suspension in no way will hold up to it. better build a new chassis and run duce springs. also those duce axles are gonna puke too so install some 5 tons. jmo
bob

Alredneck

Banned
First off we need pics of the creation taking place!:-xnopics
Now if you are looking for some deuce axles I may have a set coming available. PM me for details, im located in Cordova. ( Shelby County ) If you need any help give a shout out!

Oh yea goodluck with the project!:-D:grd:

91W350

I remember when this M715 was being built, I wanted to buy it when he got ready to sell as he did an excellent job all the way through. One man's dream.. Cummins 4BT... Glen.... [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3vL9RGJ3ek[/media]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks