• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Km450???

Wintermute

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but has anyone seen the Kia KM450 trucks (a modern remake of the M715)? they look pretty interesting (just like a slightly updated version of the M715). Kia apparently also makes Deuce and a Halfs and quite a few other military vehicles...I found the KM420 to be pretty cool looking as a light military vehicle.

I'm really wondering if there is going to be any way to get any of these in the US at all.

KM450:
KM450.jpg

KM420:
KM420.jpg

--Wintermute

davidkroberts

i think a company was trying to import them but i dont know what happened to them. It would probably be cheaper in the long run to throw a 4BT and a set of faster axles under a truck thats already here. I do like the flowing fenders, looks like a jeep commanche

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just wonder if Kia bought AM General's tooling or did they reverse engineer the trucks from scratch? Many of the new production deuce parts like windshield inner frames are actually made for these trucks.

Scarecrow1

I wonder how they will put a 4 cyl engine in the Deuce .....ok with a 20 speed trans ........lol . They don't buy any tooling from anyone they copy the patton from the records building and start pumping them out. They have no copy rite laws in Asia and aren't subject to punishment either. Thats where 99 % of the knock offs come from. :evil:

Wintermute

They don't buy any tooling from anyone they copy the patton from the records building and start pumping them out. They have no copy rite laws in Asia and aren't subject to punishment either. Thats where 99 % of the knock offs come from. :evil:

In relation to any truck that is more than 20 years old, this wouldn't matter anyways. Utility Patents in the US have a 20 year lifespan. After that, whatever your invention was is freely available for all to use without paying you any royalties or even providing you credit for the invention.

Outside of anything that is over 20 years old though, yes, asia (specifically China, Taiwan and Thailand (Korea is actually much lower in production of knockoffs than many other asian countries largely due to a large US influence on their government and industry).

Aside from all of that, the trucks may look alike, but they are not the same, different engines, diffs, frames, etc... etc... etc...

--Wintermute

Wintermute

I wonder how they will put a 4 cyl engine in the Deuce .....ok with a 20 speed trans ........lol .

Also, from Kia's military vehicles page regarding the KM50 series (their deuce and half models):

"All vehicles are equipped with a six cylinder, 236hp diesel engine, a five-speed transmission and two-speed transfer case which transmits power to the front and rear axles"

--Wintermute

Wintermute

Yup, they did. I actually got ahold of the Kia military division and they said they aren't allowed to produce them for civilian usage. Basically, they won't ship one to the US for a civvy purchase because the US gov won't let them. Kinda sucks...I'd love to have one of those sitting next to my M715 aua

--Wintermute

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually there's at least 6 in the US. Cummins Military Systems had them at their auction in Augusta in various conditions. They went pretty cheap.

saddamsnightmare

Febriary 27th, 2012.

BOYS!

It is now time to start working on our representatives to get the law amended on these trucks, as NOBODY is producing a new M715 or M35A2 in the states, we aren't going to be hurting any current producers... If KIA can sell cars here, we need to get at least these two trucks brought in as utility vehicle.....2cents

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Febriary 27th, 2012.

BOYS!

It is now time to start working on our representatives to get the law amended on these trucks, as NOBODY is producing a new M715 or M35A2 in the states, we aren't going to be hurting any current producers... If KIA can sell cars here, we need to get at least these two trucks brought in as utility vehicle.....2cents
Yep, Just as soon as they let us sell Chevy & Ford trucks there!

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very cool now if they sold us replacement parts for Equipment to up date it.
Or new sheet metal would be ++ win fenders doors cabs ECT.

saddamsnightmare

MArch 2nd, 2012.

Gents:

Be careful what you wish for..I don't believe S.Korea forbids the importation of Chevy's or Ford's, but ask yourself, how many 6 and 8 cylinder cars and trucks (much less V-10's) are you going to sell in a country where gasoline is probably already $5.00 a gallon? You may be wanting a diesel pickup based on the M715 shortly when diesel and gas hits $5.00 a gallon here and stays there.... Besides which, ask GM how well it did selling a miniature car in China under license, and the chinese copied it without license, like their copies of our hummer...(HMMWV)...
The only way to beat them is to build better, cheaper and more efficient...

What is worrying me is what is going to happen when India and China all have vehicles for more then half their present populations? So far you have not see gasoline or diesel spike like it will do then... Just a thought.:whistle:

:popcorn:

ammodude

MArch 2nd, 2012.

Gents:

... how many 6 and 8 cylinder cars and trucks (much less V-10's) are you going to sell in a country where gasoline is probably already $5.00 a gallon? .

:popcorn:

Actually quite a lot. They have about everything over here Chevy, Cadillac, Ford (Mustangs all over), Lincoln... all of the European brands as well. I saw a Dodge Stealth a few weeks ago.

Tons of propane vehicles and I do like the diesel vehicle choices.

Most GM/Ford trucks are US Military or Americans stationed here.

Do you think GM actually used the "stimulus" to help their US plants or did they use it to buy interest in foreign companies? Lots of little former Daewoo designs with the Chevy bowtie here.

How about a Km450 rocket truck?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks