• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Death of a Bumper

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found time to work on the VFD monster bumper that was added to the M715/6217 I won in the Oklahoma Forestry Commission auction a few months ago. The firemen who built the bumper were at the compound when I loaded the truck. They wished me well on getting it off, the guy said they welded on that bumper for a full day, I now believe him, what a mess! The good part of the bumper was that when they did the engine conversion and added the power steering they pulled the winch drive shaft so the winch is in pristine shape!
James

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good job Rumplecat. It is gratifying to see someone willing to put that much work into saving the original parts. Keep us updated on progress!

Cheers

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, man, that's a lot of cutting to get that monstrosity off. Now it looks like all you need is some disc grinding to clean it up and it will look good as new. Great work!

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck was a great buy, it was an ugly duckling, only after looking did I notice it had a winch, power steering, engine conversion, was an ex-contact maint. truck, so two PTOs and it had been converted to an NP205 by Uncle Sam. Too bad they VFD cut the bed for a cattle feeder mount. I guess they get to use the trucks for personal use as well as fighting fires?
James

Attachments

kfdk14

Those trucks are awesome. Looks like the bed doesn't match the rest that could explain the cuts depts pretty much do what they want before sending them back. Our old duece is going back without a bed and we now have an 818 with a duece dropside bed.:grin:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are lucky that mess did not fold the frame in front of the spring mounts. Looks to weigh 600 lbs or more. Is your truck a M724? The contact maintenance trucks with the transfer case PTOs would have been that model. If so, the bed does not belong anyway.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It began life as a 6217 contact maint. truck, I am sure the OK forestry service scraped the maint. bed and replaced it with the std. bed, they did on the cheap, leaving the gas tank in the rear position. It is kinda sharp the way the transmission has a forward facing pto and the NP205 has a rear facing one! This is the third 724/6217 I have bid on and won . but the first one with the NP205 conversion.
James

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tell us more about the NP205 conversion . . . All the 724's I have seen have some kind of huge PTO where the emergency brake usually is, with a huge multi-sheve pulley driving the welder. Looks to be a full engine power (such that it is with a Tornado) PTO. Does the NP205 mount a smaller Muncie type PTO like what is on the transmission? This is how the later M1031's are set up, but they are not full engine power. Why was this 205 conversion done?

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what I understand some of the maint. variant of the 715 were updated to the newer NP205, my truck came directly from active/reserve use and it still has the double stick NP200. The newest truck has a single stick due to the 205 with a standard size pto and no emergency brake! When I head back to the cabin I will post some photos of the two different pto setups.
James

Reactions: NDT

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The railroad iron and the pipe and the 3/4 inch platform must weigh in at 3-400 lbs. The front end looks about the same level, but it is rated at 11/4tons so the springs are pretty stiff anyway.
And yes the OK Forestry Dept. compound has a wall around the 4-5 acre holding area made of Gamma Goats, most are unmolested,some even still have parts of their canvas tops on them. And the next answer is no, they can't sell them or even part them out. They are federal property they can't scrap or sale, our federal government at work.
James

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the "GSA coming attractions", I'll be looking for those adorable WWII single axle lowboys to come up!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks