• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Carguy455 with a Tank as a kid

carguy455

My mom found these pics of me with a tank when I was a child in the 70's at the University of Maine in Orono. They had the tank there for homecomming I think. Given the anti war climate of the times back then I am surprised they had a tank on campus. If I remember correctly someone made a stink about it and it was about to be removed thats why we went to see it. I will ask my dad if he remembers more about it. Can anyone identify this beast ??
No wonder I like military vehicles, my PARENTS caused it !!!! Cool, now I can blame THEM ! lol :)

Attachments

Jones

Great pics. Don't think I ever saw one with what looks like a twin AA set-up.
Like you avatar too. I grew up around McClellan AFB and the B-36s flew in and out of there all the time; along with the XC-99s and a bunch of other unusual birds.

M35guy

That thing looks like a ww2 AA gun. I suspect anti aircraft because of the two barrels, the open turret, and the protective shielding in place on the turret too.

as far as the nation its from, I havent a clue. the track rollers look american or russian, turret I'm not sure on. I know its not likely to be german. the germans used a T34 tank chassis, and mounted a flak gun on it.

Elwenil

Looks US and probably Vietnam Era judging by the looks. I'll take a look at my Jane's when I get home and see what I can find.

carguy455

COOL

Awsome, glad I found something cool to post for everyone !
That was sometime after the POW'S came home from 'Nam, I remember going to the airport for the welcome ceramony and Bangor and Brewer threw a parade for our local POW , somewhere I still have a "Welcome Home" button with his name on it. Up here in the Northeast we knew how to "deal" with the anti war crowd, Bangor used to rough em up around the airport to get rid of em. It was a proud military town for sure. Nobody got "spit on" here, or a hippie would die.

My dad HATES the fact that I now have long hair , he keeps saying I look like one of those "pinko yellow scumbags"..have to keep reminding him where my loyalties are !

Adamlee

M19 GMC in pictures (not M42 Duster)

NEIOWA said:
M42 Duster. Self Propeller Anti Aircraft And in Vietnam widely used to blow the snot out of the godless commie hordes.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m42.htm

Last of them finally retire from the National Guard in the 90s. Supposedly a very well regarded vehicle that long outlived its expected life.
almost right....the vehicle pictured is an M19 Gun Motor Carriage, about 285 were built in 1944 based on the M24 Chaffee light tank chassis.

they were the predecessor of the M42 AA gun tank, which similarly was based on the "new for 1950" M41 light tank series.
Was inside one just the other day....

NEIOWA

M19 GMC in pictures (not M42 Duster)

Adamlee said:
NEIOWA said:
M42 Duster. Self Propeller Anti Aircraft And in Vietnam widely used to blow the snot out of the godless commie hordes.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m42.htm

Last of them finally retire from the National Guard in the 90s. Supposedly a very well regarded vehicle that long outlived its expected life.
almost right....the vehicle pictured is an M19 Gun Motor Carriage, about 285 were built in 1944 based on the M24 Chaffee light tank chassis.

they were the predecessor of the M42 AA gun tank, which similarly was based on the "new for 1950" M41 light tank series.
Was inside one just the other day....
You're correct. I didn't recall the turret on a Duster being set that far back. M19 was a rather rare beast. Your point.

boomer

Hi carguy455-
I found your post, and right away, I knew what it was. Planning to let you (and others) know, after reading the rest. Reading on, I saw the answer. I thought two things; someone stold my thunder(but that's ok), and the other was, boy there sure were a lot of quick responses.........then I checked the original post. Now I know why. I was also going to advise on the other model. But, of course that was covered too.
I will add - don't you wish you had that in your garage? I sure do!
I also want to tell you, good choice on #'s. With me, it would be 454 (between us car guys).
Boomer

offroaddiesel

hey car guy i remember seeing a tank up near or in legarange,also a huge auto grave yard,i wanted to look but all the no trespassing signs scared me off. steve from western maine

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks