• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 to 727 adapter??

citizensoldier

Who makes or where can I find a adapter plate to hook the GM 6.2 diesel to the Dodge 727 trans? The 318 is headed for the bottom of the nearest lake.. Much better for a artificial reef than moving a 7700lb M887.. I have 6.2's growing all over the yard so seems to be the way to go for me. Plus like mangus says "only real trucks don't have spark plugs.. "

Westech

CPL
CZ.. any small block chevy to 727 trans will work. They share the same bell housing. I know there there, I have seen them in action. Hope that helps and if you knew that already.. well maybe it will help some of the FNG's out there. [thumbzup] O and are you coming to sparta?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They made them in the past but I had no luck finding one when I had my 887. Maybe you can luck into a complete CUCV powerpack and install same.

citizensoldier

I am kicking around the entire power pack swap but to be honest I would just like to put a 6.2 in it and run the 727/203 until they blow up and then do the power pack swap. Its not going to be a quick swap with redoing all the brackets and trying to get drives shafts made and yada, yada, yada... Like westy said the bell housing is the same as the chevy 350's but I am wondering about spacing and flex plate bolt patterns? Any ideas on that?

Elwenil

Sounds like you are trading a dog for a dog. I'd just swap in a 360 and be done with it. If you are really feeling muscular, a Mopar big block is a bolt in with the right parts and so is a Cummins 6BT.

Also, I;d be interested in seeing a Mopar 727 mounted to a GM engine and I did not think this was possible without an adaptor plate.

citizensoldier

Sounds like you are trading a dog for a dog. I'd just swap in a 360 and be done with it. If you are really feeling muscular, a Mopar big block is a bolt in with the right parts and so is a Cummins 6BT.

Also, I;d be interested in seeing a Mopar 727 mounted to a GM engine and I did not think this was possible without an adaptor plate.
Well more like a dog for a small mule.. 6.2's are cheap and I have 4 of them, plus have more torc and do just fine in the CUCV's. Tweak the pump a little dont over rev it and away you go.. I figure with stock tires and the 4:10 gears it should be a good combo falling right between the M1009 and M1008 for power and millage.
A 360 eats fuel like no tomorrow and I like burning used motor oil among other bio fuel concoctions.
The Dana 44 front and spring pack would not handle the weight of the 6bt and again would be a waste to put in this truck and would almost certainly blow the trans and T case.. :?

flighht2k5

Banned
Who makes or where can I find a adapter plate to hook the GM 6.2 diesel to the Dodge 727 trans? The 318 is headed for the bottom of the nearest lake.. Much better for a artificial reef than moving a 7700lb M887.. I have 6.2's growing all over the yard so seems to be the way to go for me. Plus like mangus says "only real trucks don't have spark plugs.. "
I'm pretty sure they don't weigh 7700 pounds. More like maybe 5000 or so.

nattieleather

Personnally I think the 6.2 sucks and I owned a few CUCVs plus dove them in the Military and they can't get out of theri own way. The 6BT is what Dodge put into their trucks so I don't see that as a waist. Now get yourself a 6.5 or a Duramax and maybe you've got a good truck. But hey to each their own.... get an adaptor and go for it. Does Novak sell them?

buffalocody

727 will not mate to a Chevy 350

From old hot rod days, try to locate Transdapt, a company that used to make this one adapter. Or why not go with a turbo 350 or 400 and just change the cross member and yoke with a universal that mates them. Might take the drive shft to be cut, I think the 727 is longer than the T350.

Westech

CPL
Last edited:

citizensoldier

Personnally I think the 6.2 sucks and I owned a few CUCVs plus dove them in the Military and they can't get out of theri own way. The 6BT is what Dodge put into their trucks so I don't see that as a waist. Now get yourself a 6.5 or a Duramax and maybe you've got a good truck. But hey to each their own.... get an adaptor and go for it. Does Novak sell them?
First off the 6BT is a great engine.. What I was saying is it would be a WASTE to put one in THIS truck. The truck is a 1977 and Dodge made some major changes to put the 6BT in there trucks. And furthermore I am not saying the 6.2 is the greatest diesel in the world! I am saying it has more power than the 318 burns diesel fuel ,are relatively cheap and all over my yard and other peoples yards. Man you guys miss the point.. This little 3/4 ton can't handle much more than the 6.2.. A 6.5 would be great but they are not as prevalent and are much more money..
Now we can start a thread on the Duramax and have lots of debate but my 2 cents are they are electronic junk. They don't get anywhere near the millage they were supposed to. Have many electronic issues and cost more than the balance on my house. For that kind of money a truck better wipe my ass, do the dishes, give me a place to live, and a whole bunch of other stuff I will not mention. Wait until you buy your 2011 and run it 500 miles pulling a load and your Urethra bottle runs out ,the computer will automatically go to half power.. Better have a good aim to piss in that bottle..
The 6.2's are simple, cheap,and get the job done..

citizensoldier

CZ wants to drop in a different engine not rebuild the truck. He did not say he wanted a 6bt, cummins, Toyota, ford, whatever.. he said 6.2. Yes maybe installing a 12-72 would be better but that is not what he wants to use.

View the Chevy V8 to Jeep TF727 Transmission Adapter at http://www.bjsoffroad.com

712572-A | Engine & Transmission Conversion Adapters - Advance Adapters

dont know anything about the 727 from Jeep to dodge but maybe it will help get you in the correct direction
Thats good info westy.. Now does anyone know if the jeep 727 is the same as the dodge truck 727?

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know the adapter answers. Kinda pricey though,
for that money, heads from an mid 80's 5.2 cop car and and rv cam will make some good torque with the 318, but the 8 to 10 mpg will still be there.
a 6.2 in a Dodge might be sacreligous, but I understand your reasoning.
It does seem to me, that swapping the eng. trans & Tcase would be eaisier than the adapter route.
but if you don't have a trans & T-case laying around.........

Might be able to find something on ramchargercentral.com or powerwagonadvertiser forums

citizensoldier

Well I am not interested in putting money into the 318 but agree those are some good upgrades for it. The original drivetrain only has 11k miles on it so thats another reason for wanting to just leave the trans and T case alone. The adapter is a bit pricey but still about the same as a NP208 and 400 turbo.. or a rebuilt 700R4 is $700 around these parts.. It will be real easy for the 6.2 to go in with all that room, some motor mount work of coarse some rewiring.. We all no that does not hurt the M880 series trucks..:shock:.. I would just sit maintenance box on a M1008 or M1028 if I felt I needed the complete driveline swap. Re-doing t case linkage and messing with drive shafts can get a little pricey too so its not worth the money.
Sacreligous? Nawww.. I am not a brand name guy its whatever works and I can afford. They all make junk in one form or another.. Especially after 1986.. :grd:

Tanner

Talk to these guys... http://www.jeepinpnw.com/files/jpbhsgs.pdf

Look at page 15 for the early Jeep ('76-'79) Torqueflite 727 to 350 Chevy small-block - call them & see what they can offer you. They also have a kit to adapt a Chevy motor to the International Scout 727 trans - same trans?

And keep in mind that the 6.2 motor is externally balanced, like a 400 small-block up to 1985 - they may ask you for this info.

'Tanner'

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks