• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jeep ideas

I know this isn't exactly a military vehicle problem but I could use some help. I have a 1977 Jeep J10 non military pickup. (War monger) I'm going to be re-building it and it's engine. It has the 360 V8 with the 4 speed stick. EVERYTHING is stock. other then a broadside dent on the left side, there aint much wrong with it.

My original plan was to replace the sagging springs and do a Spring/over conversion on it. then when I re-build the axles, I would throw in a couple of lockers. I have a winch bumper for it that is going on as I type this.then as far as the engine, re-build it with an all stock setup. the only thing that would change in the engine would be some aluminum heads, a better carb, and maybe a different cam. then of course, re-paint it. (and fix the dents)

does anybody have anything they could ad or does anybody see anything wrong with the ideas?? I want to be sure this is what I want to do before I commit to anything.

Let me know guys[thumbzup]

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck! Those are getting almost impossible to find in good shape. As much as I like stock vehicles, if you plan on using the J10 as a daily driver, the 360 and the marginal fuel economy that goes with it may not suffice. I would put the 360 in the corner of the garage for a future pure restoration, and install something like a 4BT Cummins or (bite my lip) a GM 6.2. Something to get you approaching 18 mpg.

sirleaksalot

I sure miss mine. I had a 76, we built a 401 balanced and blueprinted. 425 hp at rear wheels.
put on Holley projection, doug thorley tri y's, msd pro billet distrib. my buddie had a stereo shop so it thumped whatever your flavor was. had a 2 in susp lift and 2 in body. flow master series 50's with twice pipes.
it was bad askkkkk.
I still have all that 360 stuff too.
mpg was not great but then I did not build it for fuel economy. one of my old mxer buddies had a Honcho version, it was a neat ride too.
I would just punch it out and redo the 360, unless you have a bottomless budget then by all means got all out.

on edit,
I also had custom dual tanks on it they were 40 gal each. a big when I had to drop them, they took advantage of every inch under there. I had Ranhco 9000's with the remote adjuster, and a oil cooler.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks