• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What’s the secret to get the started off

Barrman

Are you asking about a stock 230 engine starter motor removal? Undo the wire, pull the two bolts and it will fall on your head if you wiggle with it enough. Actually, I do them from the top just so they won't fall on my head.

Knottofs

[FONT=&quot]Ya, ive got the stock 1967 230, the back of the starter is up against a small piece of the block next to the oil dipstick. Ive hammered, crow bared, and cursed in 8 inch’s of snow, and it wont come loose. [/FONT]

Barrman

Could your bendix or gear drive be stuck out and still contacting the flywheel? That would keep it from being able to come free.

Bolt it back up and turn the engine over with a wrench on the front of the crank. When you hear the drive gear come back, unbolt it and don't let it hit you on the way down this time.

Knottofs

M715 Starter

[FONT=&quot]Got it out! Bendix was stuck, took putting it in 4wd and banging it 3 times with a front-end loader. Still took ½ an hour to get it off after that. Not going to ask if anybody has an idea where to get another one at a decent price?[/FONT]

davidkroberts

ive had the best luck getting them rebuilt. Ive never had an issue getting anything starter or altenator/generator done in 24v. Usually runs about 100.00 here

L999here

...now's the time...

I'd take this opportunity to learn how to re-build it. If nothing else,you could clean it up,check out the armature on a 'growler' at Auto Zone and replace the brushes. You could also check the solenoid and all the wiring and contacts. That alone would probably make it a 'brand-new' starter. Found out that you can turn the contacts and have a 'new' surface to play with. Remember...this OD iron was made to be taken care of by barely trained 'kids', in the field,in combat,under duress and with a minimum of tools. Learn about it while you have a chance to do so....IMO

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks