• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New seats, center console and battery boxes

Wintermute

Well, finally got all of this stuff done. Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the two piece seat brackets that I fabricated by themselves...just didn't have the time during the fabrication or the install to get pictures of them before they were in the truck.

Here's the details:

Seat brackets:
Built out of 2x1 .120 wall rectangular tubing, 1x1 .120 angle iron, slots milled for adjustability from front to back and side to side, using corbeau dual locking sliders, and using all stock mounting holes. Powder coated after completion.

Battery boxes:
Noco aluminum sealed battery boxes. Standoff mounts made out of .188 wall 1.25x1.25 .188 wall square tubing and some scrap 1.25 .120 thickness straping for brackets.

Center console:
Made out of a 1500rd 7.62 ammo can, mounted where the stock battery box would go. Straping welded inbetween the battery box mounting points to give a solid base for the console. Spin gate latch lock installed into the latch of the box with the rear latch welded in place to provide locking storage.

Floor pans were cleaned up where there was rust and such and coated with POR15.

Just for the tool geeks: About half of this project was welded using my Miller Trailblazer 302 EFI TIG at 110Amps, 1/16th tungsten, 3/32 ER70S filler. The rest of the project was welded with my Millermatic 210 MIG running .030 solid wire and 75/25 gas. The reason it was done half and half is because I only picked up the MIG halfway through the project.

Pictures are attached.

Hope you all enjoy it...I know I'm enjoying a much much more comfortable ride and it's nice to be able to store my tools and such locked up! :beer:

--Wintermute

Attachments

Last edited:

Wintermute

Nice seats. Your gonna ht your elbow on that ammo box. Dont ask me how i know....... Lol and it will be on your funny bone and its gonna hurt......
I figured :) I've already planned on sewing up a padded top cover that will wrap partway down around the sides of the lid to protect against just that occurance :wink:

--Wintermute

Wintermute

One of the pictures is after I built the new bumper and put the rhino grill on. I had to modify the brush guard to get it to fit over the rhino grill. It's been powder coated and put back on since, but I don't have a picture of the front since I put it back on. The rest are older pics...I'll have to take some new ones :)

--Wintermute

Attachments

Wintermute

I didn't want to put them in the engine bay since it's already pretty cluttered with the hydro-booster and the desert air cleaner. The bed get's used pretty heavily and I need all the storage I can get there. I'm building new jerry can holders since I actually do use the extra fuel storage. Basically, the cab was where I had room, so that's where they went. It's also where they were stored when I bought the truck.

--Wintermute

Wintermute

Nice. Any pics of your whole truck?
Got home today while it was still light out, so here are some updated pictures for ya:

these are too large for the local image store requirements in SS (only by about 20kb, but I'm not gonna fool around with compression ratios just to get them uploaded here directly).

--Wintermute

Attachments

Last edited:

Wintermute

Theres room under the bed behind the cab inside or outside the frame rails. Just my thoughts.
I'm sure there is...but not somewhere I would want to put them, I'd rather have them easily accessible. Besides, where I mounted them works perfectly, nothing is in the way and everything fits just right...why would I move them?

--Wintermute

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks