• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ready to laugh then cry?

m715converter

OK...I have an 89 Isuzu pickup with a 2.6 liter 4 cylinder...We got hammered two weeks ago by an EF4 tornado, and I was using the 4x4 to drag trees around. I was climbing over large trees to get to smaller ones and then pulling the smaller ones off to be cut up. Anyway, I was pulling one that probably weighed more than the truck itself and right at the end I blew out the front main bearing, and sent it into the front end chewing up the ring and pinion.

Moral of the story: It's going to cost over $500 bucks to repair, and I just picked up some Dana 60's that came out of a M715 for $275 complete with 5:38 gears. in GREAT condition along with all the steering components, and leaf springs.

Here is my problem(s): They came with the rims and tires used on the truck back in '68...they don't fit my 6 bolt rims. I have seen the websites that "make" a rim, but I like my 6 bolt rims that are currently on the truck. Are there any spacers available or is there a way to switch the lug pattern on the axle itself? This is way above my skill level.

Also, I was reading a post here and they broke down the torque for those axles with the stock motor. I'm pushing a staggering 100 hp, but would like to know if I would be able to break them wheeling, or will I be pretty safe with what I have?

I have access to the inline 6 that was in the truck, not sure of condition, along with the divorced drive shaft, and transfer case, doors that work, and a few other things. I'm taking the drive shafts for my use.

Thanks a million!

Jim

91W350

They are probably 5.89 gear ratio. You will have a tough time finding an easy solution. As for the strength of the axles, they were very reliable, even with 40" rubber and 8.000 pounds on board. We ran them for several years with V8 power in the rocks on good tires and never broke one. They are not as strong as the newer stuff, but your application is lightweight. They have an odd spline count and they are hard to buy locking differentials for. There is a Detroit conversion for the rear Dana 70 that uses the stock carrier, no need to change any shimming. We used Lock Rights in the front. I would think they would be way too wide for an Isuzu. Glen

91W350

I would not bother trying to run the 230, the original transmission or transfer case. They are primitive and the engines are prone to failure. Glen

m715converter

Glen,

Do you know what part number to look for to lock the front hubs, and we are going to weld the spider gears in the back.

They are only 4 inches wider than the factory axles per side. so my tires are only going to stick out a bit on each side. If I can just figure out how to install the rims...My end up purchasing new ones. I just really don't like the flat plate look.

Thanks,

Jim

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Also, you cut the centers out of the stock rims and weld them in the ones you want to run. Just another option. The bolt pattern is NOT very common.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bolt pattern is 6 on 7 3/4 IIRC. You must have really wide axles in your truck now if they are only 4" wider per side. I battled the width back in the 80s when I put them in a full size chevy. Please take pics if you decide to take this challenge. FWIW I bought 15x13 rims from McCord Terra Tire in IN for my conversion but again, that was in the mid 80s.

bcowanwheels

Ratio is 5.87. Fyi do a power lock in the front end and leave the back end open. It will do a fine job. If you drive on the road put lockout hubs on the front. If you weld the back it will eat rear tires up litterally. I make custom rims ( for 20+ yrs) for these trucks but there not cheap. I highly recomend 16.5 dia. Jmo
old man bob

91W350

Selectro was the only one making lockouts. I would encourage you not to try welding the rear gears. The Detroit conversion is cheap in comparison to most Detroits. Try Randy's Ring and Pinion, they were the cheapest when I did mine.

ALA2

MARSH RACING MAKES NICE WHEELS U CAN CUSTOM REQUEST OFFSET. I WOULD NOT CHANGE centers do to the lock ring on the rim. most tire shops dont like them.

ALA2

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks