• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help finding M715 Michelin tires

jadams454

Hi,

Can anyone help me in finding a set of Michelin XL(?) tires? I know these are hard to find, nothing on ebay or recent forum posts. I've heard these are great for on and off road, as well as a larger diameter.

Anyone know of alternatives that are as good?

Thanks.

kevin-m1008

I have had a set of the XL's on my M715 for a few years now and on road they are much better then the NDT's I had before. Dirt, snow and ice they are great. For the mud we have here in the PNW. They work not quite as good as the older style goodyear mtr.

By the way I have ~15k on them now and I'm expecting about 17-19k miles before they wear out and these were new when I put them on.

YMMV

Last edited:

Tanner

Michelin - to my understanding - hasn't made these tires for US consumption for quite a few years now.

There is a seller on the Classifieds listing a set of 5 11.00x16 XL's for $2k in Michigan - they may still be available, but are mounted on M37 rims. There is also an individual on the SS forum that SAYS he can get used for $350 each & NEW XZL's from Michelin for $600++ each. Says he just shipped 78 new tires to South America... says he's the only person in country that can get the 11.00x16 XZL new from Michelin.

FWIW - I'm looking into different rims & tires for my M37 project; seeking tires that are more readily available.

Michelin USA DOES NOT show the 11.00x16 XZL/XL tire as being available new...

'Tanner'

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been looking for some taller tires to put on my m715. At $350 used and $600 new I'll have to pass though. :shock:

There was a thread over on the zone where a guy had some 20" deuce wheels mounted on his m715. Don't recall how he made the bolt pattern work but the truck looked pretty good with 9.00X20s. I've got piles of 9.00X20s.

There was a thread over on the zone where a guy had some 20" deuce wheels mounted on his m715. Don't recall how he made the bolt pattern work but the truck looked pretty good with 9.00X20s. I've got piles of 9.00X20s.
A local guy did this. He just drilled new holes between the existing lug holes and the center hole. Darn scary, if you ask me. It did look cool.

spicergear

If you end up with XL's, do yourself a favor, buy a tire grooving tool and cut the tread blocks. Just one 5/16" or 3/8" cut across the tread makes a big difference in traction on those. You double the biting edges and don't have a huge, bald tread block. I had a set on Velvet way back when and they would squeak on wet grass and spin some some on wet grass. Same summer evening with damp grass and cut tread blocks, no squeak and each cut had grass and dirt in it. I have a picture somewhere of what I did...I even cut then diagonally or something like that. :)

M715VFD405

I wouldn't mind a set of these on my truck but for 300-600 a tire is just to rich for me. The 1100r16's are 325/75r16's (38inches) most tire company's make a 315/75r16 (35inches) I've found sets for about $200 a tire. I'd ask yourself as I did is the 3 inches worth the extra time and money spent trying to find a tire that you can't replace easily?

Most of the guys on the Zone will tell you to just get new rims either through Marsh or have some custom made (converted hummer rims seems to be the rage) to fit the new tire trends, while this is a good option and if you have the money I would say go for it unless your like me and want to keep the truck as stock as possible.

This is one of the tires I'm seriously considering
Fierce Attitude M/T Tire Details

Tanner

I don't recall Berg having these Michelin 11.00x16's tires for quite awhile... spoke with someone on the forum yesterday that said Michelin in SC was still making the 11.00x16, but they will NOT sell them for use in US due to DOT or other legal reasons.

Also Note: I spoke with Marsh ~3 weeks ago regarding their rims. They WILL NOT back them for road use - Marsh Wheels are for off-road use only. They were very adamant about this.

I'm in the same boat - seeking tire ~40" tire options for the M37 project, preferably on 1-piece tubeless rims & running Budd mounting pattern. And a rim that is 8" to 10" wide for mounting the larger tires properly.

'Tanner'

Tanner

I wouldn't mind a set of these on my truck but for 300-600 a tire is just to rich for me. The 1100r16's are 325/75r16's (38inches) most tire company's make a 315/75r16 (35inches) I've found sets for about $200 a tire. I'd ask yourself as I did is the 3 inches worth the extra time and money spent trying to find a tire that you can't replace easily?

Most of the guys on the Zone will tell you to just get new rims either through Marsh or have some custom made (converted hummer rims seems to be the rage) to fit the new tire trends, while this is a good option and if you have the money I would say go for it unless your like me and want to keep the truck as stock as possible.

This is one of the tires I'm seriously considering
Fierce Attitude M/T Tire Details
The problem with using the HMMWV rims are various - limited tire sizes in larger OD's for 16.5 rim (if you're looking for taller diamter tires in order to 'cheat' your gearing & pick up a bit more road speed), limited rim width, breaking beadlock bolts in normal usage, etc.

'Tanner'

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also Note: I spoke with Marsh ~3 weeks ago regarding their rims. They WILL NOT back them for road use - Marsh Wheels are for off-road use only. They were very adamant about this.
I'd say this is a liability issue more than anything. I would think if a wheel would hold up in a harsh off-road enviroment it would be fine on the pavement.

Tanner

I'd say this is a liability issue more than anything. I would think if a wheel would hold up in a harsh off-road enviroment it would be fine on the pavement.
Talk to Marsh... and yes, it IS about liability.

By the way - There are NO DOT or NHTSA standards for wheels - DOT doesn't write rules for wheels. They may be stamped as 'DOT approved', but DOT doesn't write any rules pertaining to wheels. There is an SAE J-series standard for wheels, but it doesn't deal with DOT from any government specifications standpoint.

Also - Beadlock wheels - while not technically 'illegal' for Road-Use, are not exactly 'legal', either. It's a gray area that I was discussing with an engineering colleague recently.

YMMV...

'Tanner'

M715VFD405

I think the problem Marsh is having are the non mv people, offroaders that have higher highway speeds then us. I just don't see a 45mph truck having that kinda problem..... As for the hummer rims I won't be doing that I'll stick with the 315/75r16 they are just fine for my intentions until someone starts selling the 1100r16s again.....:driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks