• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member question here:

IAN_M715

i recently purched a 67 M715. ive done a pretty thorough maintenance inspection but what type (brand) of lube should i use behind each of the front wheels? there is a 5/8" or so plug that i can put my finger in. i cant identify what the previous owner used but has the look of gray butter. (the lube order spec only identifies this as automotive and artilery grease) is this normal? any ideas?

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
The only gray grease that comes to mind is synthetic modil grease, but it does not really have the same buttery look as the non-synthetic non-disc brake does. I know there are some M7xx owners around there that might pop in to help you.

JDToumanian

I wondered if he is not seeing slightly dirty GAA grease...

Be careful mixing greases... best to probably dis-assemble, clean, and use fresh grease. Any modern lithium base grease is suitable, I use Chevron DELO grease (Chevron lube dealers carry it, not auto parts stores), but I like Mobil 1 synthetic, too and it's available from AutoZone. Stay away from graphite-filled greases and moly grease... just plain grease is best.

Jon

Elwenil

It's typical wheel bearing grease. Nothing special but a lot of M715/M725 owners feel that the grease is too thick to get into the joint and lube properly so a lot of them will mix gear oil with it. Another option a lot of the guys seem to use is what is called "cornhead grease" which I believe is some sort of farm implement grease. The catch is getting something that will lube well, but not be so liquid that it wants to leak past the knuckle seals. Check over at The M715 Zone for more info. www.m715zone.com

ONTOS66

rofl

Thanks for the tip on Cornhead Grease ... but you have to admit, it sounds like it should be preceeded by Jeff Foxworthy saying:

"You might be a Red Neck if .... "

ps - Ian welcome to the group - lots of knowledge mixed in with the nonsense. Enjoy!

IAN_M715

cool thanks for the link chris. I will try and track some of this stuff down. once i finish the maintenance i will snap some more photos. all you more expiereinced guys can take a look and give me some more feedback.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW, I know some guys that use the cornhead grease in steering gear boxes of older tractors. When the oil leaks out they replace it with corn head grease instead of resealing the gearbox.
Thanks for the tip on Cornhead Grease ... but you have to admit, it sounds like it should be preceeded by Jeff Foxworthy saying
So, you might be a redneck if you just use the wrong stuff instead of fixin' it right! 2cents

Seriuosly, cornhead grease can be used in a lot of "different" aplications.(Good Stuff)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
how would corn head work with the front and rear hub bearing on a deuce or 5t

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks