• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any T16 owners out there?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have thought about owning some armor or tracked vehicles for years. I have recently been reading some articles in Supply Line and Military Vehicles Magazine about the T16 or universal carrier. I know there were several generation of universal carriers before the T16 that were also know as the Bren Gun Carrier. I like the T16 better because of its size, shape, and the Ford V8.

They are very cool indeed. They usually weigh in around 7500-8000 lbs, they have a 4-speed tranny, lever controlled steering, solid steel tracks, capable of a 60% grade and 33mph.

If any of you SS members have one or know someone who does, I would love to hear some more about them from an owner's perspective. Thanks.
Chris

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sold mine a few years back. Had a lot fun with it but was too small for me. What would you like to know about them?

Chuck

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Do you mean the overall size was too small Chuck? Or, do you mean the driver's compartment? I am 6'3" 230 lbs. Would it be a tight squeeze for me?

The articles I read described the T16 as peppy, fun on and off road, an able climber, occasionally amphibious and easy to work on. Does that sound like your impression of them?

Thanks,
Chris

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw john's carrier in the middle of its restoration and it was impressive then! :shock:

rmgill

I've driven several carriers with my group 15th Recce. One of the partners in the Humber restoration had a carrier he restored that came out of a bank in Canada. The Canadian and British Carriers ALSO have a Ford Flat Head V8 it's pretty much standard for them. The Windsor and T16 carriers differ mainly in that they have a longer hull and two pairs of road wheels on each of the Horstman bogies whereas the traditional bren carrier has only 3. 2 on one bogie and 1 on the other. The T16 has levers for steering and doesn't have the track warping system that the UC's have which is actuated as the early part of the steering wheel input that ALSO actuates the brake on that side as you turn the wheel further. I've probably around 20+ hours of drive time on Jim and another person's carriers. That includes time pulling maintenance in the field and troubleshooting problems.

Bren Carriers of all sorts are fun. T16s are good too. Sadly I've rarely seen them dressed up properly in British colors.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wow John, that is truly impressive restoration!! You did an incredible job. Thanks for sharing that with me!

Ryan, thanks for the info too. I might have to look into a T16 when my finances get a little better. They look like they would be a blast to resto and to drive.

I see that Rod Shaver has some for sale starting at $8000. That's a lot out of my league, especially since the are in AZ. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one in need of resto on the east coast somewhere.

I think we need to add a UC/T16 forum to SS for you guys.

Chris

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey John! After I got home the other day I picked up a back issue of Supply Line and saw that you won first place at the 2005 MVPA! Congrats. Also, the issue of Military Vehicles Mag that I was reading a full write-up on your UC. Very cool buddy!

Chris

jad

Had a universal carrier for a few years now .picked up an M 211 to carry it around fits fine in the back and acts as a mobile shelter for it.
Jeff

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks