• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Carb Work

zout

Find a new mechanic that has learned to come out from the old oak tree in the back yard.

Not being a SA here - just that if it were the right mechanic the question never would have arose. You would now be driving it around.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bad O ring around the needle valve body is always the culprit for "too much gas in carb".

Find a new mechanic that has learned to come out from the old oak tree in the back yard.

Not being a SA here - just that if it were the right mechanic the question never would have arose. You would now be driving it around.
There are a lot of mechanics that have never worked on a carburetor. In fact I have one that works for me. You need to ask if they have experience with carbs.

kvflyer

That "O" ring must be good and it is often split. The needle valve must be in good condition and without debris in the fuel system. Our old rusty tanks often provide us with many problems.

I have rebuilt two of these 1920 Holley carburetors. The first one went well but still did not perform well. It came with the truck and was not attached. I got the second one and I believe it was from a 1969 truck because it came with the air horn for a hood mounted air cleaner. It cleaned up very nicely and fixed the problem. I used the NOS military rebuild kit, not an aftermarket or "Jeep" kit.

135gmc

You might find that some FOD is holding the valve open, but replace the "O" ring when you open the carb up, and also add an in-line fuel filter just before the carb. Older MIL trucks tend to have lots of crud floating around in the fuel tank. Mobileauto2000 is right when he said that there are lots of mechanics who have never worked on a carb - you need to find a shop that specializes in carbs - you might ask someone who is into builting hot rods / customizing for any shops they recommend.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Holly 1920 carb on the M715 has to have the float set just right to run properly. The TM 9-2320-244-34 Chapter 4, covers the carb and adjustment.

I can send you a copy if you don't have one.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can download them from the Zone or PM me your email address and I will send you a copy.

As far as rust and crud
Here is a fuel injection filter that you can use.
Its fine enough that rust wont pass
large enough that the fuel slows and drops suspended particles like a sediment bowl.
I use it on all apps that have rust problems and it works.

wix 33097
fram G3802A

Put it horazonally before the fuel pump. Unless the pump is in the tank.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks