• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wanna see a m715 d70 'correct" power lock

bcowanwheels

m715 axles rebuild & d70 'correct" power lock

THOUGHT you fellas might like to see a correct (.500 or 1/2" offset) m715 dana spicer 70 series power lock 23 spline ( 2 piece axle gears) . these things are extreamly rare. they havent been made in over 20 yrs and there is no parts left for them anywhere except for the clutch packs. dana spicer only has steel/steel clutches now as they lost there fiber clutch mfg. heres a N.O.S unit on the left, stock open carrier in the middle and a p/l carrier half I,am rebuilding on the right. also a set of axles I,am rebuilding for a fella who wants power locks front and rear, 4.56 gears, lockout hubs along with normal complete strip down and bring back to new spec's axles hub to hub. A power lock is alot better for a m715 that see alot of highway miles as it dont have the harsh characteristics of a locker in the rear so tire wear is about 1/2 compared to a locker. in one of my m715's i only got 9k miles on a set of new rear tires and I knew to let off the gas going around corners, enjoy. more to come on this.
bob

Attachments

Last edited:

spicergear

I may be mistaken but I think the offset is the necessary change from 5 series to 4 series gearsets. I may be off on that though...

Nice part collection Bob. I still have, I think, two sets of stock axles kicking around and some other odds and ends.

ODdave

I may be mistaken but I think the offset is the necessary change from 5 series to 4 series gearsets. I may be off on that though...

Nice part collection Bob. I still have, I think, two sets of stock axles kicking around and some other odds and ends.
Nope, 4.56-7.17 all use the same carrier

ODdave

Im curious as whats so "rare" about this? I have a bunch of pwr-loc's (20 or so) There not that rare. Is it the 23 spline part? I have 23 spline side gears for the pwr-loc if somone is interested.

bcowanwheels

Fellas, the m715 dana 70 axle is danas first design in the 70 series and the carrier along with the ring and pinion gears are specific to this design 70 series. It takes a 1/2" or .500 offset carrier and ring + pinion gears. The newer dana 70 axles all use a 5/8" or .625 offset carrier and ring and pinion gears. The m715 is a critter of its own and nothing newer will work related to 5/8" offset components. FOR MORE INFO ON THIS DO A SEARCH ON M715 REAR AXLE SPECS.

Last edited:

bcowanwheels

Got a little more work done, 2 coats of primer, 24hrs drying time then 2 coats of flat black. Gonna refurb the 2 power locks monday. Will have detailed pic,s of p/l's very soon. Got the clutch packs soaking in friction modifyer now as dana recomends.
Bob

P/S LIKE 2 OF MY PUPS ? BLACK ONE IS PAL AND SABLE ONE IS BUDDY BODINE !!! LOL THERE NAME TAKERS AND HEART BREAKERS LOL. THE YOUNGEST OF 9 I HAVE.....

Attachments

Last edited:

bcowanwheels

I have a bunch of 4&6 bt engines. I use them in m715 swaps aalso i remanufacture them for people. I bought 35 at 1 time a while back. Now i,am down to like 8-10 of them. They dont last long

Attachments

Last edited:

bcowanwheels

a few more pic,s added. FYI on cleanning up m715 brake drums, ALWAYS turn drums "on the hubs" and tighten all lug nuts tight installed backwards( bevel out) to snug drums to hubs. this eliminates drum chatter and ensures trueness between drum and hub. there is no need to remove drum from hub and if you do mark drum and hub so you re-install it exactly as it came off. m715 hub-drum relationship is very touchy and they dont like to be messed with. jmo
bob

also power lock now installed in rear.

Last edited:

bcowanwheels

Finished up completely on the rear axle refurb. Heres the new coated brake lines and rubber flex line. Sure is a bugger makeing them to form to the axle like the originals and still allow for the 2 offset u-bolts. also finding the correct line clamps was a job also.
Bob

Attachments

Last edited:

bcowanwheels

Heres some pictures of front axle. The carrier and pinion bearings was plum shot. Worst i,d ever taken out. All the rest was excellent inside. Go figure.....
Got the 4.56's and power lock in along with grade #9 carrier bolts also new knuckle felts and seals, inner axle seals, hub seals, brakes done, drums trued up, grade 9 bolts custom made for lockout hubs, new brake lines just to mention a few things.

Attachments

Last edited:

onegmjack

Looking great Bob.Bob you pointing out the differents in the rear and front differ.Make me think of Fred Trent,he knew them little secrects,like you do.GOD Bless You.Dwight

ODdave

I have a bunch of 4&6 bt engines. I use them in m715 swaps aalso i remanufacture them for people. I bought 35 at 1 time a while back. Now i,am down to like 8-10 of them. They dont last long
Dumb question, but you didnt recently buy some from a guy in michigan did you? He said he sold them to somone in TN.

bcowanwheels

no, only fellas I,ve reciently talked to from michigan was concernning a m715 engine. also a fella from detroit who I,am helping install a set of 4.56 gears, power steering & correcting a problem with his sbc engine adapter.I try to help everybody I can on things. I get calls from all over the U.S. and other countries as well everyday.
bob

kvflyer

Bob,

Both of those axles look terrific. Are you building them for your "Keeper" truck or for someone else? Nice work and I am sure the dogs are "Helping" you whenever they can.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks